Recommended Posts

yeah scooping up the dead carp is not a major issue here lol they will likely do systematic releases of the virus in selected systems followed by clean up efforts, they wont all die at once and turtles, foxes, yabbies and shitloads of birds also will take their share where we cannot clean. There would be some dead fish around but probably only an issue in still water, and yeah maybe one step back to many steps forward as Cod are easily bred and once the carp are gone restocking will happen really quick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally have been following this guy from the NCCP for a month or so now. He is releasing some damning data that explores the scientific research that has been completed. I don’t think the 60% of carp killed during the testing is a concern what concerns me is that all the trout/galaxiid, Murray cod, silver perch tested died during the tests. 

Many waterways in the UK have been decimated by virus releases there as whole lake systems have been killed off and extreme care is taken around cleaning and use of fishing tools like hooks and the transportation of water.  

A lot could be fixed in the Murray darling system if some effort was made to hold the cotton farmers actually accountable for their irrigation and shut it off all together. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mattfinn said:

Personally have been following this guy from the NCCP for a month or so now. He is releasing some damning data that explores the scientific research that has been completed. I don’t think the 60% of carp killed during the testing is a concern what concerns me is that all the trout/galaxiid, Murray cod, silver perch tested died during the tests. 

Many waterways in the UK have been decimated by virus releases there as whole lake systems have been killed off and extreme care is taken around cleaning and use of fishing tools like hooks and the transportation of water.  

A lot could be fixed in the Murray darling system if some effort was made to hold the cotton farmers actually accountable for their irrigation and shut it off all together. 

 

Hi mattfinn, can you please explain what your last paragraph actually means. I live in the Murray Darling Basin area and agriculture is the primary industry. When the average rainfall is 45 -50 cms per annum, the rest has to come from somewhere. I'm a bit confused about the link to the eradication of Carp. Maybe you could explain in a little more detail. Cheers, bn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read this whole thread from start to finish, lots of passion from for and against sides, I am mainly a saltwater fisherman so  don't personally encounter them up here in Queensland much, although they are everywhere in the freshwater sections of the rivers in South East Qld where I live, also in most of the dams. The other environmental pest we have here is the Tilapia, not sure if you have them down south but they will become just as big an issue as carp believe me.

I live 15 minutes from the best stocked bass fishery in Queensland, I have on occasion fished this dam with a an old gentleman that fishes it twice a week every week rain hail or shine and catches of 80 to 100 bass in a session is not uncommon (I kid you not) all caught on live shrimp using circle hooks and 99% of cases released safely. Catches of tilapia are becoming more and more common, and they are quite visible building there nests in the shallow water edges.

On the issue of also getting rid of redfin and trout, I am not full bottle on the carp issue that guys like Ric , mattfin, big Neil and Fatbastard appear to be, however from what I understand the really big issue with carp is the destruction of the environment by the turbidity they cause in the rivers, lakes and streams, neither trout nor redfin appear to cause this problem, it appears the issue with them is more one of predation on native species, and as both fish are pretty fair eating, best to deal with the carp issue first I reckon.

Clearly something has to be done to reduce carp numbers everywhere in Australia which is a big place compared to most European countries and places like Japan, so we have a different set of circumstances to evaluate how to best do this.

We don't have much option but to trust that the relevant authorities will weigh up all the pros and cons and make the correct decision on our behalf.

I reckon we should all get back to fishing now!!

MSB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hi mattfinn, can you please explain what your last paragraph actually means. I live in the Murray Darling Basin area and agriculture is the primary industry. When the average rainfall is 45 -50 cms per annum, the rest has to come from somewhere. I'm a bit confused about the link to the eradication of Carp. Maybe you could explain in a little more detail. Cheers, bn

Basically not shutting it off altogether but looking at alternatives to cotton that are more drought resistant and require less water. Basically it’s a different argument but as both high amounts of irrigation and carp have a common fault of decreasing water quality. I won’t go into it anymore but I strongly recommend watching some other videos from the nccp 

 

Mainly this one were it discusses findings of the tests conducted. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MSB said:

Just read this whole thread from start to finish, lots of passion from for and against sides, I am mainly a saltwater fisherman so  don't personally encounter them up here in Queensland much, although they are everywhere in the freshwater sections of the rivers in South East Qld where I live, also in most of the dams. The other environmental pest we have here is the Tilapia, not sure if you have them down south but they will become just as big an issue as carp believe me.

I live 15 minutes from the best stocked bass fishery in Queensland, I have on occasion fished this dam with a an old gentleman that fishes it twice a week every week rain hail or shine and catches of 80 to 100 bass in a session is not uncommon (I kid you not) all caught on live shrimp using circle hooks and 99% of cases released safely. Catches of tilapia are becoming more and more common, and they are quite visible building there nests in the shallow water edges.

On the issue of also getting rid of redfin and trout, I am not full bottle on the carp issue that guys like Ric , mattfin, big Neil and Fatbastard appear to be, however from what I understand the really big issue with carp is the destruction of the environment by the turbidity they cause in the rivers, lakes and streams, neither trout nor redfin appear to cause this problem, it appears the issue with them is more one of predation on native species, and as both fish are pretty fair eating, best to deal with the carp issue first I reckon.

Clearly something has to be done to reduce carp numbers everywhere in Australia which is a big place compared to most European countries and places like Japan, so we have a different set of circumstances to evaluate how to best do this.

We don't have much option but to trust that the relevant authorities will weigh up all the pros and cons and make the correct decision on our behalf.

I reckon we should all get back to fishing now!!

MSB

Hi MSB I fully agree with what you're saying. We mere anglers can only hope that the authorities get it right when the decision is made to release or not (the virus). I cannot imagine that 1) Carp are going to quickly disappear from our waterways 2) that other species will become extinct overnight. Slow and cautious seems to be the approach that will need to be used, hopefully with plenty of assessment in between. bn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that something will go wrong with he virus, carp are in our waterways and the only proper "natural way" to deal with carp would be to boost native predatory species populations that would feed on baby carp limiting their populations. this would also improve those native fish species chances of survival. 

Seriously the natural environment is being destroyed by scientists, politicians and all other idiots that think their "great Ideas" will have no side affects. We have seen it before (Cane toads, Carp, english perch, rabbits, brumbies, feral cats and dogs, camels, deer, goats, Pigs, Foxes, buffalo and many many more) and these same people will do it again. I seriously hope this virus doesn't get released and then we find out that some native plant dies which causes bait fish to die causing all our friendly fish to die out due to lack of food. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a solution would be either to hold massive carp comps or

Convince people they are really GOOD eating and eventually people will believe it and they will catch them like hot cakes lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2019 at 6:01 PM, James Clain said:

I believe that something will go wrong with he virus, carp are in our waterways and the only proper "natural way" to deal with carp would be to boost native predatory species populations that would feed on baby carp limiting their populations. this would also improve those native fish species chances of survival. 

Seriously the natural environment is being destroyed by scientists, politicians and all other idiots that think their "great Ideas" will have no side affects. We have seen it before (Cane toads, Carp, english perch, rabbits, brumbies, feral cats and dogs, camels, deer, goats, Pigs, Foxes, buffalo and many many more) and these same people will do it again. I seriously hope this virus doesn't get released and then we find out that some native plant dies which causes bait fish to die causing all our friendly fish to die out due to lack of food. 

Couldn't agree with you more that the virus will end up in an (another) ecological disaster for us James Clain. as you said too many idiots spruking ideas that have no solid base. 

I have enjoyed fishing for our native species (and trout) for a lifetime and even though I want these smelly, useless habitat destroying carp got rid of........definitely not at he expense of our other native species.

I say NO to the virus.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JA1990 said:

I think a solution would be either to hold massive carp comps or

Convince people they are really GOOD eating and eventually people will believe it and they will catch them like hot cakes lol

Maybe a bounty on catching Carp so kids could earn some pocket money, but they are so entrenched in our system in massive numbers I dont believe it would really have any effect.

Ha ha , good luck with that mate. Pretty difficult sell there...........when they taste & smell like crap and are full of bones 😠

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mullatt said:

Maybe a bounty on catching Carp so kids could earn some pocket money, but they are so entrenched in our system in massive numbers I dont believe it would really have any effect.

Ha ha , good luck with that mate. Pretty difficult sell there...........when they taste & smell like crap and are full of bones 😠

Or possible allow cast netting, bow fishing, electrical fishing and other banned techniques. Just for the purpose of catching carp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, James Clain said:

Or possible allow cast netting, bow fishing, electrical fishing and other banned techniques. Just for the purpose of catching carp.

How about blast/dynamite fishing? I have seen that thing in the past - it works. Just for the purpose of catching carp. Good excuse?

Do you understand that using those "techniques" a lot of other (native ) fish will be damaged/killed?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, savit said:

How about blast/dynamite fishing? I have seen that thing in the past - it works. Just for the purpose of catching carp. Good excuse?

Do you understand that using those "techniques" a lot of other (native ) fish will be damaged/killed?

 

Yeah I understand that certain techniques would affect native fish but bowfishing and castnetting could work if a special licensing system could be implemented. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      64,124
    • Total Posts
      511,877