How To Make Bonito Sashimi: Better Than Kingfish IMO

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Hi Raiders,

Thought I'd share with you a couple of tips on how to prepare Bonito for sashimi.

Yes sashimi is simple if you have a kingfish or tuna, you can eat it same day caught. Bonito is a little trickier as the flesh is so delicate, for this reason I've met many an old fisho who look sideways at me when I tell them I eat Bonito. Many only consider Bonito a fish for bait, which whilst is is a gun bait should not be discarded as a table fish.

There are three tricks with Bonito to ensure you get great sashimi:

First, be very careful with the fish. That means don't put pressure on the flesh at all as much as possible after you catch it. There are not fat layers in the flesh unlike kingfish or antlantic salmon, which means it can seperate a lot easier if you're rough with it.

Second, wash the filleted and skinned flesh in fresh cold water. It's quite bloody, this will remove that excess blood.

Third, pat dry the rinsed fillet with paper towel (gently!), put on a plate, cover with glad wrap (leave as little air as possible) and leave on top shelf of fridge overnight (or for at least 12 hours). Doimg this effectively 'sets' the flesh, meaning when it's time to serve it won't fall to bits on your chopstick or fork, and will also be that nice cold temperature.

Done this way, it's my absolute favourite sashimi!!!

Edited by Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Yeah nice write up. I really like Bonito as sashimi. Only thing I would change is the cold fresh water, I only wash my fish in salt water retains the flavour better.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate my brother, who continuously points out used to be a chef, does the same thing. He even brings a bucket of sea water home! That's commitment.

For my two bobs worth

1) Numero uno......Bleed in saltwater bucket for 5 mins then

2) Straight into saltwater ice slurry

3) Filleted at ramp, cleaned in same slurry. rinsed in other saltwater ice slurry, then stored in icewater slurry prior to home and refrigerated overnight as discussed,

If you wan't to eat on boat. Filleted after the above. Sliced into sashimi portions/packed in lunch container and buried in ice for 1/2 hr.

If at home and can't wait till next day. Filleted after the above. Sliced into sashimi portions/packed in lunch container and put in freezer for 20 mins.

Hi guys

Can you tell me if size matters when doing Bonito for Sashimi.

Are the bigger models a bit more ? Mushier ?

I would hate to know how may Bonito I have only used for bait or processed for cat food in the past!

Next one will be getting bled and straight into a ice slurry

JD

Guest Guest123456789

Hi guys

I would hate to know how may Bonito I have only used for bait or processed for cat food in the past!

JD

I don't know but maybe someone else can help? Biggest catch I've had is 50cm Edited by Guest123456789

I have had bonito sashimi from a 75cm bonito down to 30cm bonito, they are all great sashimi! (my favoorite fish to sashimi actually!)

All excellent advice for ensuring quality sashimi there!

I might add that i spike/kill the fish as soon as its caught and then go through the procedures mentioned above (bleeding, icing, filleting as mentioned by letsgocrabing and treating the flesh as mentioned by flatheadluke)

I believe it helps with the flavor of the flesh as a struggling bonito is quite lively and must produce some hormones which do change the final taste of the sashimi!

Hi guys

JD

Size doesn't matter. Most important thing to keep it firm is keep it really cold all the way until eating. I spike, bleed and straight into the esky buried in freezer bricks. I don't use a slurry. I will be starting to gut and gill pretty soon after it has finished the bleeding and back into the esky to see if that makes it any better.