Etec for Trolling on Quintrex 490 Cruiseabout?

Pauafritta

I am going to buy a new boat in a few months which will probably be a Quintrex 490 Bowrider. Am trying to decide on an Etec or a Suzuki.

We will do a bit of Trolling with the family and a few runs outside on nicer days.

I have heard that Etecs are not that good for trolling but hoping to hear from a few people that use them.

I also need to decide on size where i am leaning towards a 90hp (max for boat) but would a 75 be sufficient? Maximum load would be 2 adults and 2 kids under 5 and that would be rare. Most of the time it would be 1 or 2 adults fishing.

I have a 4 stroke Honda and would never go back to a 2 stroke. That is purely from the point that I find the 2 stroke lawn mower smell makes me turn green even in a small swell. With kids around I don't want the smell getting to them either. Please note I'm not getting into which type is better regards maintenance or running economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 150 etec HO and love it, it trolls at 500 rpm fine. If I was just fishing and trolling I'd probably lean towards a 4 stroke. If water sports and hole shot mattered I would go with the Etec.

I agree with Squidboy put maximum HP on it. With the Etec you can also step up to the HO for a bit more grunt.

Heaps of opinions.

Good point about the weight which a lot of people don't bring up often. Yes you can get max hp on a boat but might not be the best balance.

I have only had 2 strokes ever. About 6-8 motors. The etec has always been fine trolling.

At the moment i am running 225HP etec. That is max. But if i was to go 4S it would have to be a max 200HP suzuki 4 cyclinder.

Fourstroke will have a better resale value. A lot of people get worried of etecs

I have a 90hp 4 stroke Suzuki on a heavy 5m plate boat. I mostly troll, 6am to 6pm, motor doesn't miss a beat. It has plenty of power too and is very economical, quiet and smoke free. Personally, Id lean more towards the Japanese made 4 strokes. All the big names are good, choose one based on service centre location. I found the Suzuki best value for money.

Edited by Billy2014

• 3 weeks later...

I run a new 75HP Etec which is really a tuned down 90HP. All the rest of the unit is exactly the same and saved me about $1,500.

You do still get some of the oil smell when you are trolling and if you are sensitive to it it can affect your sea comfort. At the end of the day you can still end up with an oily smell in your nose even though the Etec oil consumption is very low.

I put the Etec on purely for substantially reduced weight compared to an equivalent power of 4-stroke and with terrific fuel economy.

I have a 4.7 fibreglass half cabin (Stejcraft).

I been on a mates 90 e-tec plenty of times. I can definitely say there was no smoke from the motor. However at idle you can smell the burning of oil. I have had three major brand four strokes and can say that they were all less smelly than the two stroke.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I replaced an old Johnson on my boat with an E-TEC 90 a few years ago. My wife doesnt like to go fast in the boat so spends a lot of time putting along and hasnt missed a beat. Fuel consumption made me check that the fuel gauge was still working because compared to the old Jonno it was next to nothing. No strong smells for me when on the water.