Aussie Salmon Curry

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Ok I've been catching a lot of these (and no kingies or Bonnies) recently so was forced to cook one of these up. Surprisingly very good, I'll cook it again for sure.

This is a base recipe, suggest adding a veggie curry, cooked rice and a nice cold beer with it plus a healthy dose of Australia open tennis. Having small kids I add the spicy stuff seperate.

INGREDIENTS:

2 x Aussie salmon 50cm+. For gods sake prepare it right (bled, filleted, skinned iced etc. Remove the red bloodline). Small cubes (not minced but not too big). I recommend either icing or leaving in fridge overnight to set the flesh. Otherwise it might be mushy.

4 tablespoons mild curry powder. If you have other Indian types herbs and fresh curry leaves even better whack them in too.

1 or 2 crushed garlic cloves.

1 onion diced

1 cup, 250mls chicken stock (Campbell's is ok).

1 cup (250mls) of hot or boiling water.

1 tablespoon tomato sauce

Either half tablespoon of vinegar OR 1 fresh squeezed lemon or lime (not both)

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon soy sauce.

2 tablespoons of Corn flour OR plain flour anything will do.

270ml Ayam coconut cream (full fat not the light stuff). Sorry you really need this don't substitute.

Some sort of chilli (for adults not kids servings).

Vegetable oil (preferably) for frying.

METHOD

In a moderately hot wok or pan (I prefer wok) start off with a generous amount of vegetable oil and lightly fry fish until cooked. Use a utensil that allows you to remove fish(but not juice) onto paper towel. Cover cooked fish and set aside.

Discard gross water, clean wok and reheat till hot again. Fry onion in oil, then garlic for about a minute. Add flour and curry powder, stir 1 min, remove pan or wok from heat. Add water, stir until combined. Return wok to heat, stir until sauce boils and thickens. Add stock, tomato sauce, soy sauce, sugar and vinegar, reduce heat, simmer covered for 30 mins or until sauce thickens (check periodically but not too often). Add cooked fish and cream, lightly heat (if not hot enough already).

Serve two adults 2 kids. Bon Appetite, or as we say here in Australia get it into ya!

post-36607-0-71693300-1453436010_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Your a better man than me. I tried it once and that was enough to never try it again.

The rest of the recipe (minus the salmon) looks tasty.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right my first experience with it was poor as well, it's been two years since I tried it again. That said, I think I prepared and cooked it like you would a bream or kingfish, which you can't because the flesh goes mushy OR dries out.

Was it the taste that was no good, or the texture? Was the red bloodline removed? Did you leave the skinned fillet overnight in the fridge and set the flesh?

I'm very picky, but I really enjoyed it. I think I might try it next time as sashimi or battered and fried. I'll make another post.