Sydney Bass Again...

jarvis689

Hey all,

I know how secretive we all can be about our bass spots but I thought I'd give a 'location' report.

I normally throw the yak in after work up past Galston.

The water hasn't been the colour that normally means a successful evening for fishing. It's been a bit brown after the huge amounts of rain. We normally like that milky green hue. That coloured water and the cicadas pumping in the afternoon always means fish.

So far this season it's been...slow.

Whilst we are still getting a few each time we head out they don't seem to be the normal fun size. They seem to be topping out around 20-25cms. Whilst still great having them hit the lures while sitting on the water it's not the same this year. Ideally we'd be hitting at least one 40cm+ each 2-3 hour session. Yet to clear 35cm this season. Anybody else finding the same thing north of Sydney? Too much rain???

Either way, it's still great to be in the local creeks catching native fish and letting them go. My latest addition to the yak of a nice soft net has made the whole catch and release much simpler (except the lures stuck in the net). Also as a side note, the savings I've made in lost lures since owning the yak have easily covered the price if anyone is getting pressure on buying one! :)

On a side note, has anybody actually eaten a Bass? I've heard the most mixed rumours about the whole thing I've never even considered it. In saying that even if I heard they were delicious I would most likely let them free anyway. Just curious is all...

Cheers guys.

"Tight lines"

MJ

Nice report MJ! Fishing out in Sydney's West has been slow for us too. Water has been a constant brown.

Not much action follows, hopefully the clearer water starts to run again in the coming weeks and the fish are back on.

Cheers,

Paul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi Jarvo,

i have eaten bass, they are probably the best fresh water fish around here IMO, i only take them out of stocked dams not wild ones, always release wild bass but im sure you could take one or two every now and then

Personally I don't eat fish other than in one big mouth full with my nose blocked but... when I used to be a chef we put on a special one week (not bass but bloody similar) of estuary perch cooked whole. We sold out every day for the week and I was told by many that it was the best tasting fish they've ever had. I imagine bass would be pretty much the same.

When the farms are sending a barra out to be cooked they will take it out of fresh water and into the salt for a few weeks to flush the fresh out of their blood (gets rid of the muddy taste). I'm guessing that e.p's would go better than a bass due to the ability to take more salty conditions. But I'd be interested to know! =)

Personally I don't eat fish other than in one big mouth full with my nose blocked but... when I used to be a chef we put on a special one week (not bass but bloody similar) of estuary perch cooked whole. We sold out every day for the week and I was told by many that it was the best tasting fish they've ever had. I imagine bass would be pretty much the same.

When the farms are sending a barra out to be cooked they will take it out of fresh water and into the salt for a few weeks to flush the fresh out of their blood (gets rid of the muddy taste). I'm guessing that e.p's would go better than a bass due to the ability to take more salty conditions. But I'd be interested to know! =)

Hey mate, Estuary Perch are not allowed for commercial sale. Are you sure it was EP you were cooking?

I previously lived in the Blue Mountains and over the years I spent much time camping and rafting on the various streams, creeks and rivers in the region. When these trips involved over night stays , we would often cook up a whole bass or trout on the campfire coals for dinner, with the rest of our catch being released. I made a couple of observations. Firstly if the water was turbid and discoloured, the fish would more often then not taste muddy. However if the stream was running clear then there was no muddy taste in the fish, especially if it was gutted, gilled and bled fairly soon after capture. The second and more interesting thing that I found was that the fresher the fish , the better the taste.On one memorable 3 day rafting trip, I caught a bass in the morning and one just before dinner and both were eaten on the coals that night. The one caught in the morning I would rate about 7/10 where as the one caught just before dinner on the same day was probably a 12/10 , absolutely delicious, I stress that there is nothing wrong with taking the odd fish for an occasional meal, however I am a firm believer of catch and release. I hope this answers your question