Trifecta (marlin, mahi, snapper)

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

Just a quick report. Headed out PS with dom and jarrod hoping to get jarrod his first marlin. We headed north, water was between 22.5 and 24.9 with plenty of bait about. We spent a fair bit of time trolling lures, livies and skipping. We managed a nice dolly at about 120cm. Then we stopped for a snapper bash and a nice one to jarrod going 2.5kg. Then on the way home we found our target, a nice stripe cruzin the water and he couldn't resist our lures.

post-24974-0-40963900-1454096900_thumb.jpg

post-24974-0-19191900-1454097023_thumb.jpg

All fish were landed by jarrod who had a day to remember out there. Dom got smoked by a big snapper that had his Stella singing and I hooked up to a rather huge Noah that tested my tennis elbow and won. Back to flatty fishing for me for a while.

Great day out again dom and it was great to see jarrod get his first beak!

Plenty of good fish about up here and water has cleared up nicely!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Great work guys and congrats to jarred, I'm at port Stephens for the weekend with wife n kids, any recommendations where to go for a snapper fish in close

Mate they are fairly prolific atm. You can't go past the sisters at broughton but a little closer would be fingal headland, early morning late arvo.

Ah good on ya mate, I gather the stripe was close in?

We're heading out tomorrow and Monday, was going to head to the carpark but I was speaking to a local bloke who said most of the stripes had been caught in close.

Will let ya'll know how we get on.

Ah good on ya mate, I gather the stripe was close in?

We're heading out tomorrow and Monday, was going to head to the carpark but I was speaking to a local bloke who said most of the stripes had been caught in close.

Will let ya'll know how we get on.

Don't want to give too much away but I would look at the gibber! :)

Don't want to give too much away but I would look at the gibber! :)

Cheers mate, appreciate the tip. We we're going to head out the front and tow plastic till we found bait.

If you're out callsign is "Aileen" on 80.

Tight lines!

Well done Scratchie and Dom for helping Jarrod get his 1st Marlin looks like a great day fishing again at Port

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey langers,

Your still alive. Make sure you drop me a line when you head up this way next. It's been a while mate.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Just thought I'd update those who care on the weekend.

We fished Sunday and Monday.

Huge amounts of bait strait in line between Marlin Reef and Seal Rocks on Sunday, marked a few fish herding them up but couldn't make any feed.

We found two little black strait out the front of Port in 50 fathoms, both threw their hooks.

Got another (60-70kg) black out the front of Broughton in the same depth. Line parted after 35min.

Nothing doing on Sunday, most of the action seemed to be to the south of Swansea. We trolled from Seal Rocks down to the Carpark for 0's and no bait. Like, nothing at all at the carpark. There wasn't much current.

Tight lines ya'll

post-16741-0-19261800-1454405882_thumb.jpg

post-16741-0-55813200-1454405849_thumb.jpg

Wow the surface is quite clear. Did u switch on low surface clarity on ur sounder? And are those marks the marlin?

No mate, all standard settings except gain. We had a lot of "interference" for the top 5-10mts through the day, I thought it was muck in the water as it came and went a bit. The -587 has been amazing, we've only had it for a few months and it kills!

And yes they were, we got one of them to take a lure (second pic), but it came in on the short corner which had dirty great hooks in it, so we never really had a chance of staying connected. The fish that we fought for a half hour was on the long 'rigger and was light gauge hooks (PM me if you want some more info on 'em mate).

EDIT: the marlin that came in on the SC was only about 20-30kg, which is why I didn't think we'd keep him connected with such big hooks.

Edited by theDoc

Update:

Couldn't help myself today with glass out conditions. Put a late text up to a fellow raider and on short notice he joined me.

Caught a few livies, headed north east. Got out on the 40m mark and our livie gets smashed by a shark. Put on another and it got hammered by something as well possibly another Noah but didn't see it. Skip bait for a little while for one bill strike. Headed south trolling lures to cover more ground and found a heap of current lines. Worked the area and just about to call it quits when we see a marlin sunning itself. Tried to entice it but to no avail. A bit disappointing to come home with zeros but for 4hrs it was a nice day on the water!

It was great to meet you Andrew. Hope you enjoyed the dolphin tour! Lol :)

Cheers scratchie!!!