Fishing Whitsundays

Tim

Hi guys

A mate at work is going up to the Whitsundays in November for a week long trip on one of those bare boat charters. He's asked me if I can get some tips for where to fish, techniques to use, and places to visit around the whitsundays.

He's taking off from airlie beach on 19/11.

Any tips, or stories that anyone would like to share?

Cheers

Tim

Hi guys

A mate at work is going up to the Whitsundays in November for a week long trip on one of those bare boat charters.  He's asked me if I can get some tips for where to fish, techniques to use, and places to visit around the whitsundays.

He's taking off from airlie beach on 19/11.

Any tips, or stories that anyone would like to share?

Cheers

Tim

70974[/snapback]

Tim, do a search for Whitsundays there is a number of posts with info

Guest bluecod

Tim,

There'll be a copy on board the boat, but he should get a copy of "100 Magical Miles" by David Colfelt ISBN 0 9586989 1 0 to get an idea of the lay of the land, depths, channels etc. - the local library will probably have a copy.

i did the same trip last november. actually we departed on the 20/11 :biggrin2:

the boat does about 6-7kn when cruising. perfect speed to throw out a few rapala CD11's. we got a few spotted macs doing this.

there will be hords of mac tuna so take small profile metals and chase them down in the tender provided. most schools we found were in cid harbour and out the front of hamilton harbour

there is a creek at the back of cid harbour (dugong i think)........cast sp's or bait onto the coral drop off for coral trout, spangled emperor, sweetlip and all types of cods.

the creeks on the south end of hook island (nara & macona) are good for chasing fish in the shallows

if they go to hamilton harbour, tell them to fish off the back of the boat. got some good estuary cod, goldspot cod, tusk fish, small gt's, grunter and more.

and tell him to take heaps and heaps of beer :beersmile: its needed :thumbup: