A Sydney Blue for a first timer

boattart

Took an old school friend for a fish Sunday. We caught up at a reunion in August for the first time in nearly 30 years and he said he loved fishing but couldn't catch anything decent.

We left Cronulla at gentlemen's hours and put the small lures in 20 fm as there's been a few fish in close as we got to the Plonk Hole a bite on the short corner turned into a Striped tuna about 4kg and he was wrapped already but I assured him there would hopefully be better things to come. In 80fm we switched to the bigger lures and started to work toward Browns. About 11 o'clock the left rigger cracked and as I turned a very angry Blue Marlin was horizontal going sideways across the spread before turning at us. I was doing close to 20 knots trying to keep him out the back while we cleared the deck before he settled down and emptied 400 meters of line against a solid 15kg of drag. Almost an hour later a stubborn fish earn't himself a NSW fisheries tag and we had a 150kg Blue marlin lying beside the boat.

post-12518-0-29437300-1454306391_thumb.jpg

After a few hi 5's and a celebratory beer or 2 we worked wider of Browns and got a nice 10kg Mahi and true to form as soon as I stated to fillet the first one a second smaller fish jumped on to join his mate in the esky.

With no more action on the tide change we headed towards home and then in 68fm of Port Hacking the left rigger started screaming again but this time a nice Black marlin of 90-100kg started to do his stuff but after charging the boat as well we couldn't keep the hooks in.

Was a greaqt day on the water and certainly looks like a good start to the season. Here's hoping they hang around for a few more months.

To be serious, the dorsal fin looks to be higher than the fish. So in theory a blues dorsal is half width of fish. A stripes dorsal is higher and is generally full width of fish, by the looks of the photo, the fish appears to be a striped?

Fantastic fish. Brilliant! Hate to add to the debate but it looks like a black to me too. The last one we caught flared up with light vertical stripes as we got it boat side. The rigid looking pectoral fins suggest it is a black. A bit close in for a blue. But who cares. Just a great fish. Well done.

Having had the fishing pleasure of Boattart (Mark) on many a boat. If he said it was a " Deep Sea Racing Mullet" I would beleave him.......

Only seen him lost for words once.....When on Australia Day 2010 wide of Port Stephens we hooked the biggest Blue Marlin he & skipper Rob had ever seen!!!! And that includes many trips to Kona in Hawaii. We did not have it on long but when it came out of the water pulling 130lbs line like silly string.

They both called the fish well over 1200lbs..........& they have seen plenty "Granders" both Blue & Black Marlin.........All of us on the boat that day still talk about it... Without any doubt... Mark would be one of the best "Marlin" fisherman I have ever fished with.

yeah it looks like a blue to me, they are great photos when they go all gold like that

I think judging the fish's weight from a photo can be very difficult. I've got photos of marlin where in one photo it looks like it's 80kg and in another it looks almost twice the size due to the distance and angle of the shot.

I'm just happy the marlin was tagged, released, lives to breed and fight another day, well done guys

Well done again Mark, nice fish.

Reading your report reminded me of our Blue that we hooked and lost about 4 weeks ago..It also charged at our boat and we were doing about 20knots too to get away from the dam thing! I was on the rod and thought we lost it but we just couldnt get away from it quick enough to get tension again.

It threw the hooks half an hour later.

Had a heap of fun and we learnt alot that day.

Mike

Edited by Mike.

• 4 weeks later...