Advice for fishing in the kurnell area

Ojay Samson

Hey all,

so im posting here in the hopes that some people out there might be able to point me in the right direction. im going for a fish with a mate this afternoon in the kurnell area around the groynes. can anyone shed some info as to which are the best places for success in that area as ive never fished there before and will be going there for a flick with lures and sp's.
I have read a few reports already of that area but they are predominantly in regards to rock fishing further east of where we intend to fish.

is it better to fish on the boat ramp end or the oil terminal end of the area?
is it better to be mobile and work the beaches going up and down or would it be better walking on the groynes to the end and flick from there? also, are there recommended groynes to try, as there are a few of them and would only have a limited time to check out a select few.

any advice would be greatly appreciated, feel free to post here or pm,

Cheers, OJ

This is second hand info I gathered a few years back but something I never had time for but further west along Silvers Beach wading out using SP's and small lures can be very productive. Work the sand flats and weed patches for Flathead mainly. One of the fishing Mags didn't a good write up on it a few years back and I got all keen and chased up on it but time became an issue for me but it's something I always wanted to try.

I lived out Kurnell was I was younger and I still fish out there from time to time. If you want to fish from the groynes, I'd suggest the one in front of the post office (it's the left hand groyne of the swimming nets) or the next one along towards Captain Cook bridge. Every single one of them is ok, but growing up there I found these 2 did the best for some reason.

Good luck and keep us posted with how you did.

Cheers,

Adam.

I lived out Kurnell was I was younger and I still fish out there from time to time. If you want to fish from the groynes, I'd suggest the one in front of the post office (it's the left hand groyne of the swimming nets) or the next one along towards Captain Cook bridge. Every single one of them is ok, but growing up there I found these 2 did the best for some reason.

Good luck and keep us posted with how you did.

Cheers,

Adam.

Hey all, reporting back.

Thanks for the tips all

So the session was a bit of a fail. we threw an array of different soft plastics, hard bodys & metal vibes to no success.

we started on the right hand side of the oil pipeline and rock hopped to the end of the solitary groyne, we then worked our way down the beach to the left stopping just short of the 2nd groyne from the left of the oil pipeline, not hopping to the end as there was already someone there working it.

there was a lot of baitfish around swimming around and 1 large looking fish that brook the surface chasing said baitfish just under the oil pipes pylons... I threw everything i had at that area to no avail. Oh well, thats fishing. maybe next time i will try the groyne at the post office lol.

on a side note, i hooked up to a loose rock of a cunjivore colony. i opened one up hoping to use it as bait as the lures were clearly not working, but when I did, it released an incredibly foul odour, is cunji in that area supposed to smell so horrible? (ive opened up cunji before at watsons bay wharf growing on the pylons for burley for blackfish, and from what i remember none of them emitted such a horrid stench).

Edited by Ojay Samson