Quintrex Fitout.

p-ziller

Hello fellow Raiders,

I have decided to start an ongoing topic about the fit out of my Quintrex tinny.

I have begun work on it as I would prefer if it catered a little better to how the missus and I would like and prefer to use it.

At its current state it was pretty much stock as a rock with the exception of what I believe to be an aftermarket 2 piece flat floor which has seen better days to put it nicely.

post-37344-0-42031400-1454453010_thumb.jpeg

post-37344-0-95737400-1454453034_thumb.jpeg

post-37344-0-86785000-1454453054_thumb.jpeg

Plans for the 385 Explorer are:

• Fit sounder.
  • Re do all electronics as most have stopped working including all round light, navigation lights and internal lights.
  • Fit toggle switches in more convenient place (located now on battery housing).
  • Fit battery kill switch.
  • Front casting deck and storage compartments.
  • Rear deck, storage compartments and live bait tank.
  • Fitting swivel seats.
  • Re doing the floor and,
  • Vinyl wrap (Hull only).

Yesterday arvo in the course of a few hours I got started on fitting the seats and the sounder.
The seats went in easy but I didn’t fit them as I am going to carpet the ally bench anyways.
After that I got started on the Sounder.

post-37344-0-70408800-1454453080_thumb.jpeg

post-37344-0-20744300-1454453101_thumb.jpeg

The sounder was a bit of a pain as I wanted it to go through the transom. The plug head itself was 24mm dia, a big difference to the 12 odd mill dia drop of the cord size. All mounting holes have an electrolysis block with a bit of silicone and rubber grommets.

post-37344-0-23135100-1454453121_thumb.jpeg

The rest was pretty easy. I then temporarily fitted my custom made sounder stand so I could mark out all holes, it looked the goods!!! (cut out under mount is for sounder cables to pass through)

Pretty stoked on how it panned out, I will hopefully resume working on it over the weekend.

post-37344-0-03723900-1454453140_thumb.jpeg

post-37344-0-84741700-1454453157_thumb.jpeg

post-37344-0-25505200-1454453175_thumb.jpeg

post-37344-0-28151900-1454453196_thumb.jpeg

(P.S if somebody could tell me where to get cheap marine carpet it would be awesome! Im looking for the dark grey colour. Looking for around a 5odd meter roll).

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul. Nice start to the project. Just a thought, have you fitted a brace to the sounder bracket, otherwise the flex will eventually lead to cracking of the bracket.

It would be nice if the sounder connectors were removable like on microphones so that they can be installed through smaller holes. I had the exact same issue. Cheers Ric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ric001

Perfect timing mate! I have a 4.3 stacer and it's got battery and gadgets front and rear decks being the nomad model but I'm about to swap Sounders and move the battery from the rear up to the front for a live tank on the back cast deck.. Also drool over the vinyl wrap.. Looks great what you've done so far! I'll be following this thread very close! :)

Are you putting in a 12v socket? Best thing I have done with mine!

Hi Paul. Nice start to the project. Just a thought, have you fitted a brace to the sounder bracket, otherwise the flex will eventually lead to cracking of the bracket.

It would be nice if the sounder connectors were removable like on microphones so that they can be installed through smaller holes. I had the exact same issue. Cheers Ric

Sure have. It's also 3mm Ally. I wish I had radiused the cut out corners. It would have eliminated any potential for that. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Hi Paul,good job so far.Im sure your post will be followed closely by the tinny brigade.Nice little boat perfect for a project like this you have there.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Fab1,

The tinny brigade is a strong one!!! Haha I noticed a lot of people haven't really done a 'step by step' so I thought id give it a crack.

Perfect timing mate! I have a 4.3 stacer and it's got battery and gadgets front and rear decks being the nomad model but I'm about to swap Sounders and move the battery from the rear up to the front for a live tank on the back cast deck.. Also drool over the vinyl wrap.. Looks great what you've done so far! I'll be following this thread very close! :)

Are you putting in a 12v socket? Best thing I have done with mine!

Hey mate,

Yeah I've been thinking about it for a while now. I think the 12v socket will come in handy! Like charging the phone for when I catch all those stonkas and I'll need the photographic evidence!! Haha

Hopefully I can provide even the smallest piece of info for somebody who might need it.

Cheers,

Paul.

A few photos from this afternoons efforts. Getting the storage and casting deck ready.

Using 25 X 25 X 3 Ally angle for bracing and a piece of 3mm thick ally sheet folded to form a 'C' channel to increase the step down size to level.

post-37344-14544852700269_thumb.jpg

post-37344-14544852870274_thumb.jpg

post-37344-14544853362789_thumb.jpg

Hey Paul that is some really nice metal work. Sheetie by trade?? The welds/ folds and mention of the putting a radius on the cutouts are all top notch.

Thanks Ric!!!

There isn't many jobs I haven't had! Not a sheetie, but currently work in sales at a sheet shop and never mind getting my hands dirty. If I can't make it, usually my mate, work colleague and fellow raider 'jesso' will make it for me.

I am also a freelance graphic designer and artist if you ever need anything done! :)

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul. I'll definitely keep graphics designer stuff in mind. Is it web based or for print??

Print and illustration. Can pump a few sites out when needed too.

Thanks Ric!!!

There isn't many jobs I haven't had! Not a sheetie, but currently work in sales at a sheet shop and never mind getting my hands dirty. If I can't make it, usually my mate, work colleague and fellow raider 'jesso' will make it for me.

I am also a freelance graphic designer and artist if you ever need anything done! :)

Cheers,

Paul.

Now that's someone I would hire - a Graphic Designer who is clearly as skilled as most Engineers I know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now that's someone I would hire - a Graphic Designer who is clearly as skilled as most Engineers I know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tastee, if you are looking for someone I'd love to drop in my resume! :)

Amazing where this thread has gone to Paul. I've fitted my tinny out but don't have the salt water issue which you do. It needs to be a couple of feet bigger (mine). I'm going to follow your thread. Good onya for putting it up in such detail. Cheers.

Amazing where this thread has gone to Paul. I've fitted my tinny out but don't have the salt water issue which you do. It needs to be a couple of feet bigger (mine). I'm going to follow your thread. Good onya for putting it up in such detail. Cheers.

Thanks Neil,

Not much to report on lately because i have been extremely busy! Only doing a few wiring bits here and there, will hopefully get back into it on the weekend.

Thanks,

Paul.

Had a bit of free time this arvo. Bought some marine carpet today so I thought I may aswell put some in.

post-37344-14556169803357_thumb.jpg

Cut down to approximate dimensions

post-37344-14556169963489_thumb.jpg

Tools used.

post-37344-14556170388384_thumb.jpg

Now my OCD coming into play.

post-37344-14556171492968_thumb.jpg

post-37344-14556171743458_thumb.jpg

post-37344-14556171981538_thumb.jpg

Where I finished off today.

post-37344-1455617225463_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Paul.

Good to see you have OCD like me :)

Looks great - but being OCD I would make sure the floor carpet was the same as the bench one :)

It will be in good time mate!

That's the original rotted floor that needs replacing.

I could never leave it in multiple colours lol!

Cheers,

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

Got around to some more this arvo. What a challenge it was!!! Happy with the results. :)

Progress pics as follows. Raw timber was sealed, carpet was stuck down using 'Sikabond' contact adhesive and sides were stapled to finish... Phew!

post-37344-14576013542447_thumb.jpg

post-37344-14576013838078_thumb.jpg

post-37344-1457601412925_thumb.jpg

post-37344-14576014493675_thumb.jpg

Good looking set up. Sorry if this is a stupud question (very little boat experience...only fisho in the family) but roughly how much would I be looking at to get a similar model quintrex and kit it out as you have?

Adsy91,

Hey mate, you can get an awesome tinny, motor and trailer for under 4k. I got lucky with mine. So far I have the material to do everything and it's looking like it will come in at under 500 bucks. If you have tools and are a good problem solver you will do well!

Hope this helps!