So had an hour or so off today and decided to do a quick fishing session out on the Northern Rockwall extending from Endeavour Bridge into Botany Bay (Near the runway), high tide was about 1800, and I got there just about 1.5hr before it. A few anglers were out there although had no luck. I rigged up with S.P. (fire tiger minnow i think on 1/8 jighead) and casted out against the tide (and the 15kt of wind which picked up). Could barely hit more than 10m, else my S.P. flew back into my face. After about 20 or so minutes, I hit a good 45-46cm flatty, nice and fat. I decided to move about, and saw another bloke pick up a smaller one on chicken (i think). The bite died down from there, (didnt feel much), and kept getting snagged. If you fish there, i suggest you to be careful, once you get close to the wall, reel in as fast as you can. For a quick hour sesh, 1 fish, I'm happy.

Nice one. Pretty good for a 1 hr session. What sized S.P. did you use to catch that fish, if you don't mind me asking? I've generally used a 3 inch minnow but was told flatties (even the smaller ones) will go for the bigger stuff, so I'm thinking about grabbing some 4 inch minnows and trying them out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice one. Pretty good for a 1 hr session. What sized S.P. did you use to catch that fish, if you don't mind me asking? I've generally used a 3 inch minnow but was told flatties (even the smaller ones) will go for the bigger stuff, so I'm thinking about grabbing some 4 inch minnows and trying them out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry for the delayed reply,

I used a 4" Fire Tiger jerk shad on a 1/8 only because the current there when it picks up...it really picks up. ive used like 1/12 and 1/16 before and itll drift back to me before it hits the sand. Ive found the fire tiger to work best, especially on my bigger flatties alot better. Ive had success before on 3" nuclear chicken minnows (just not at this location). But mind you, different days, different colors different sizes etc.

Good Luck Fishing

KTAN3235

Edited by ktan3235

Have you guys ever tried the samaki vibelicous (70mm) soft vibes? The reason I mention them is the action is not compromised when you change the hooks for singles (reducing the chance of snags), they are incredibly easy to use and flathead absolutely smash them. Fishing the Entrance on the central coast one day I wasn't having luck with all the usuals so gave my mates technique a try and literally 6 casts off the jetty and landed 6 60cm flatty. Normally these lures you use a slow lift of the tip feeling the vibrstions then letting it drop but flathead seem to love it when you use really (and I mean really) strong hard twitches the second it hits the bottom. Pretty similar to the techniques used with minnow profiles but much harder strikes.

Sorry for the delayed reply,

I used a 4" Fire Tiger jerk shad on a 1/8 only because the current there when it picks up...it really picks up. ive used like 1/12 and 1/16 before and itll drift back to me before it hits the sand. Ive found the fire tiger to work best, especially on my bigger flatties alot better. Ive had success before on 3" nuclear chicken minnows (just not at this location). But mind you, different days, different colors different sizes etc.

Good Luck Fishing

KTAN3235

Thanks for the tip. It sounds like you know the area well :)

Have you guys ever tried the samaki vibelicous (70mm) soft vibes?

Sounds pretty good. I'll have to check em out

I've tried the soft vibes before, however no success in Sydney, landed a good Flatty up at hawks nest though. My opinion is they work well in really windy conditions and clearer waters.

You're definitely onto something with the wind. Other than hardbodies by far the easiest to work in high winds for me. In my experience the darker muddier waters, especially on overcast days and after heavy rain, require darker colours in your lures. Predators like Mulloway can sense the vibrations of the lure in the water regardless of seeing them but to get them to strike the idea is you need something with a strong silhouette in dark conditions rather than something that is bright and shiny. Here is a link some of you may be interested in, it simplifies the science behind how light (and therefore colours) change in water and at different depths.