Lake Macquarie Houseboat Trip

vos

Hey all,

Heading up to lake mac next week ,hiring a houseboat for 10 days and taking my boat to fish from.

If anyone could advise me of some spots and tactics to catch some fish that would be greatly appreciated. Have read all historical posts regarding fishing lake mac on this forum, but if anyone has anything to add please feel free to do so.

Willing to target anything, flathead, whiting, bream, squid or jewies etc. Am fishing from a boat and using bait and/or SPs.

Would really like to know somewhere I can pump some nippers or catch some poddy mullet.

Thanks,

Vos

Edited by vos

I managed to get away with the family just after the New Year , we stayed at a house on the water at Mannering Park . Right next to the boat ramp . Little poddy's were everywhere on the back jetty & if you head out from the ramp on the right you'll spot 3 yellow markers marking out the shallow area in a triangle shape . Fished the area on both tides & done extremely well especially in the evenings . Used pillys , prawns but the chicken breast did most of the damage including nailing a 42cm whiting on it & the Mrs got a 33cm snapper ! One evening we got only an hour in before the wind picked up but we managed to land over 20 bream in that session most being over well over legal . Good luck out there & it's an extremely a Beautiful place ( weather permitting ) We had heavy rain & storms the first 5 days....

Poddies were hard to find yesterday in my usual spot in the creek behind the Swansea RSL. I had no luck with lures. Picked up a 32 cm bream in behind the islands in Swansea Channel and 2 lizards about 45cm drifting the Channel. All on Hawkesbury prawns. If you're chasing lizards, it's hard to go past the Channel or the drop off into the lake. You'd want to leave the houseboat in the lake, though and use your boat in the Channel. The current races along, so watch it. ;)

Good luck!

Baz

• Like 1

All from the boat ... My son got some fishing done off the back jetty & managed a couple of nice breams & a long Tom which was terrorising the poddy mullets .

Hi Vos

You're coming to the right place!!

As for the poddy's, anywhere near the road bridge over Cold Tea Creek (Belmont South), Swan bay (southern side) and Black Neds Bay will get you sorted.

Fishing wise Swansea Channel has been good however I've only been lucky during the tide change (plenty of thumper bream but it's short lived).

There has been plenty of phosphorus at night though which seems to slow things down a bit.

Also, I hope you didn't hire the houseboat from Pelican Marina..... She collapsed yesterday!!

Hey Rex,

Thanks for the info. No we didn't hire from pelican marina, we did hire from him 18 months ago when we did this last time, but with the storms late last year he lost all of his jetty platforms and maybe his boats. We saw a pic on an internet news site of his 48 footer on its side sitting on the bottom in a shallow part of the lake. I don't think he ever recovered from that. It is a pity cause he gave us really good service when we hired from him.

Cheers

Vos

Not to hijack but News on TV last night...

A popular restaurant in pelican partially collapsed into lake Macquarie.

Interviewee... A woman in the building jumped into the lake and swam to safety.

Interviewer.. How is she?

Interviewee.... She's very wet!!

Feck. Only in Australia..

Not to hijack but News on TV last night...

A popular restaurant in pelican partially collapsed into lake Macquarie.

Interviewee... A woman in the building jumped into the lake and swam to safety.

Interviewer.. How is she?

Interviewee.... She's very wet!!

Feck. Only in Australia..

Hmmm... I'm wondering if it's safe to say this yet.... I drifted the channel on Saturday and I caught my lure up on one of the piers under that restaurant. Gave it a good reef and it pulled free with just a little bit of timber attached to the hook! :whistling:

Baz

• Haha 1

Hmmm... I'm wondering if it's safe to say this yet.... I drifted the channel on Saturday and I caught my lure up on one of the piers under that restaurant. Gave it a good reef and it pulled free with just a little bit of timber attached to the hook! :whistling:

Baz

Shhhhhh