The ever changing river

big Neil

Amazing what you see in the space of a week, when fishing the 'Bidgee. Since the start of the Cod season on Dec 1st through to the end of January the water levels have been very high and running at a high rate of knots. However, it's a whole new picture today. Huge gum trees that weren't visible last week, are now showing in abundance. There's very little current too so this means changing over from bait fishing to lures and spinnerbaits. These conditions are likely to remain through Winter, unless we get lots of rain or snow up in the range. So today I got 6 Murray Cod ranging between 28cms and 58 cms. The big one had a DPI tag in it but unfortunately I can't read the numbers without my reading glasses...so I let it go to be caught again. Incidentally it had a hook down near its gills that was showing signs of rusting out. Here's a few pictures of the river (fairly high) and how it was today.post-20708-0-00328300-1455000138_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-73953600-1455000164_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-40678100-1455000204_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-49752700-1455000246_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-71627800-1455000273_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-26474900-1455000302_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-03761400-1455000334_thumb.jpg

Your right its crazy how much a water way can change. Recently a highly regarded wedding venue here at swansea (on lake macquarie) recently fell into the water and collapsed due to changes in tidal movement.

Should of taken a photo of the tag and looked at it when you got back ;) just a spare of the moment thing

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Your right its crazy how much a water way can change. Recently a highly regarded wedding venue here at swansea (on lake macquarie) recently fell into the water and collapsed due to changes in tidal movement.

Should of taken a photo of the tag and looked at it when you got back ;) just a spare of the moment thing

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

That's exactly what my wife said. Didn't think of it. Neil]

Good report again Neil, and as always great photos. I haven’t fished the 'Bidgee but water level fluctuations could be related to change in irrigation demands. On the Murray rapid change to water level can make lure fishing a challenge, but also adds to the enjoyment when it all comes together. On the occasion when you use lures (rather than spinnerbaits), what type, colour and size do you favour?

I particularly like to fish with very low water levels. This sometimes happens towards the end of the irrigation season. It is amazing to see the size and position of structure that is not normally evident. It also allows access to water not normally fished, and sometimes gives us a crack at the bigger fish who frequent the large and deeper snags.

Good report again Neil, and as always great photos. I haven’t fished the 'Bidgee but water level fluctuations could be related to change in irrigation demands. On the Murray rapid change to water level can make lure fishing a challenge, but also adds to the enjoyment when it all comes together. On the occasion when you use lures (rather than spinnerbaits), what type, colour and size do you favour?

I particularly like to fish with very low water levels. This sometimes happens towards the end of the irrigation season. It is amazing to see the size and position of structure that is not normally evident. It also allows access to water not normally fished, and sometimes gives us a crack at the bigger fish who frequent the large and deeper snags.

Yep the water levels are often determined by the irrigation needs at various parts of the 'Bidgee. Also huge amounts are sent down as "Environmental Flows" which are (supposedly) designed to minimise the impact of "Black Water" on the native fish species. I'm not one for saying that a particular lure is the best or even better than others. I have lots of lures and use different ones which suit my assessment of the conditions. Invariably the water is low or (at least) not running quickly. The important factors are the depth a lure will be working at and whether it's being trolled or cast. I use quite big lures with big bibs that will dive deep, quickly. Colour wise black with any of red, green or purple seem to work well...but again I think it's more important that the lure is actually working and within the correct depth parameters. Where do you go to on the Murray? Cheers, Neil

G’day Neil

Isn’t it good that we all have a theory on lures? The lure colour catches me way easier than a Murray Cod. I generally start with a green (in colour A or GR), 75mm or 100mm Oar-Gee Plow, depending on the depth of water being fished. If things are slow (read no action at all), I then usually swop to a pink (colour H) Oar-Gee of similar size, and then progress to a pink and purple Predatek Boomerang. On more occasions than I like to admit, I have used the whole colour spectrum and have still gone home without even a touch. Unfortunately, being the original tackle junkie means that the guide series tackle box is stuffed full with every available colour. As the saying goes, when I die I hope my wife doesn’t sell my fishing gear for the price I told her I paid for it. Because the green GR spends the most time swimming, it catches the most fish, and is therefore my go-to lure.

Now that we are located on the NSW coast our fishing trips to the Murray are limited, but over the years we spent a lot of time anywhere between Cobram and Bearii, as well as Lake Mulwala.

G’day Neil

Isn’t it good that we all have a theory on lures? The lure colour catches me way easier than a Murray Cod. I generally start with a green (in colour A or GR), 75mm or 100mm Oar-Gee Plow, depending on the depth of water being fished. If things are slow (read no action at all), I then usually swop to a pink (colour H) Oar-Gee of similar size, and then progress to a pink and purple Predatek Boomerang. On more occasions than I like to admit, I have used the whole colour spectrum and have still gone home without even a touch. Unfortunately, being the original tackle junkie means that the guide series tackle box is stuffed full with every available colour. As the saying goes, when I die I hope my wife doesn’t sell my fishing gear for the price I told her I paid for it. Because the green GR spends the most time swimming, it catches the most fish, and is therefore my go-to lure.

Now that we are located on the NSW coast our fishing trips to the Murray are limited, but over the years we spent a lot of time anywhere between Cobram and Bearii, as well as Lake Mulwala.

Yep we're all guilty of thinking we can discover the secret of what they're taking when in reality the fish generally determine whether they are biting or not. There's only 1 way to catch them and that's to get out there and have a go, even then there's no guarantees. Cheers, Neil.