Mack Tuna Sashimi

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Hi Raiders,

Managed to prepare this fish so that it's really tasty, must say its a challenge but well worth the effort.

Mack tuna are kostya tszyu of the LBG targets I've encountered in my relatively short time fishing. Pound for pound very strong fish. Rip the fillets of the bone and you'll see a lot of blood and muscle. Blood aside the flesh is well structured in terms of texture.

Here is how I recommend to prepare:

Bleed and ice the fish as early as you can after capture.

Fillet and skin. Remove the bloodline and ribcage bones.

You'll be left with 4 fillets. Half these fillets by cutting lengthways (ie head to tail if it was still on the fish frame).

Rinse fillets fresh water, pat dry with tea towel.

On a large plate, place paper towel, the fillets, then paper towel on top then cover in cling wrap. Put in fridge overnight.

In morning, remove fillets. You'll see a lot of the blood will have congealed on one side of the fillet (maybe 1/5 of the fillet). You can also see the paper towel has absorbed even more excess blood. Remove this congealed blood flesh by slicing with a sharp knife.

What you're left with is slightly gamey (but not too gamey) mack tuna sashimi. Sweet soy sauce is the best accompaniment or some lemon. You can eat on its own too but it's better with a small amount of sauce or ginger, wasabi etc.

I'm guessing this would be super healthy!

Edited by Guest123456789

nice one, I've had Stripy and Mack Tuna for sashimi heaps of times, I think its really good. I was first introduced to Mack Tuna sashimi on a charter up in Cairns. Everyday we'd get a few in morning, the crew would sashimi them up for the passengers and crew pre dinner along with a couple of beers. Really nice just dipped in soy and wasabi.

Like you said, it's really important you cut out all those deep red bloodlines, get rid of them and your left with a nice pink tuna. One 2kg plus fish is heaps for Sashimi for a few people and the left over bloodlines I just bag up and freeze for bait and burley. So nothing is wasted either.

As for healthy, I've read the smaller tuna like Stripies and Mack Tuna have much, much lower amounts of Mercury per gram than the bigger Yellowfin or Bluefin, Still wouldn't stop me eating YFT or BFT because I don't eat them that often anyway.

All good

• 3 months later...