bream-man made structure

daniel ogden

Planning to tackle some bream around pontoons and boat hulls, i know that zman grubs are super popular but what are some other good plastics or hard bodies for pontoons and boat hulls? And does anyone know how the bream are fishing in the sydney harbour at the moment. Cheers

I would have four rods rigged for the harbour pontoons and boat hulls

2inch camo gulp crabbie rigged on a 1/28th hidden weight jighead

2inch green pumpkin bulky hawg on a 1/16th jighead

Atomic ghost gill brown hardbody deep

Austackle shinku colour bondi brown

Hard to argue with that . I like slow sinking lures that have lots of flutter. Cranka Crabs, Burkley Power Hawg, Squidgy Critter. Love the Atomic ghost gill as a hard body lure. 3 inch gulp nemisis. But I use Sax Scent as well, but not on the Cranka Crab claws!

Edited by bluefin

Hard to suggest what plastics or HB's as everyone has their favourites. I prefer 2" Berkley Gulp Grubs and Shrimps for instance and even go old school with 3" Berkley Bass Minnows at times. The trick is to fish as light as possible and ensure your casting is accurate, getting in as tight as possible. Target the shaded side of the boat hulls first and the boats moored at the extremities seem to fish better. The clarity of the water will also dictate what you use too, the typical Parra water is quite murky so you can get away with mildly heavier leader (6lb) but as you head into the Harbour proper you will need to go down in size.

It was fishing very well for Bream a few weeks ago, no big fish but lots of 'school' size up to 30cm hanging around under pontoons and boats as well as on the sand flats.

Just for the sake of completeness, here is my short list of 'go to' Harbour bream lures:

2" Berkley Gulp Grubs in Pumpkinseed

2" Berkley Gulp Shrimps in Molting

Squidgie Pro Critters in Bloodworm

Jackson Komachis in Yoshinobori

Pontoon 21 Crackajack 38 in Ghost Gill

See, totally different to everyone else!

Cheers

Windy

For hardbodies I find the small 38mm crank styles in natural colours are hit the most followed by the sx40 style divers. The more you pay the better quality the hooks and probably paint job quality but brands like the atomic cranks and berkley are fine you don't need ecogear or jackalls etc.

For plastics I agree with all the earlier comments. I will often switch from the 2" grubz to the 2.5" with a 1/20th jighead if having trouble casting in the wind.

Bream also love blades, the ecogear blades are amazingly effective in deeper water and are almost always hit on the drop and rarely recquiring a strike to hook the fish so can be a great go to for the windy days again.

3d709bd7da50271ba2b0a9948c48215b.jpg

I prefer the 428 number with the reasoning behind this being that this colour seems to imitate various species of bait with bleeding gills or a full egg pouch and in my experience this leads to more hook ups.