How to repaint an old aluminium boat

NaClH2OK9

Hi Raiders.

My 5.2 alloy half cab is showing it's age with flaking paint. It currently has a peeling grey coat over what seems to be reasonably fixed cream paint on the hull and an awfull mat white top which doesn't wash well.

I'd like to give it a repaint but could do with advice on if I need to take everything back to bare metal or just sand back to sound paint and top coat.

If stripping back. The easiest and cheapest way to achieve ( paint stripper or sand)

And the best type of paint I could apply with a foam roller ( I don't have a spray gun and this needs to be a budget diy job).

Thanks

Steve.

Hi Raiders.

My 5.2 alloy half cab is showing it's age with flaking paint. It currently has a peeling grey coat over what seems to be reasonably fixed cream paint on the hull and an awfull mat white top which doesn't wash well.

I'd like to give it a repaint but could do with advice on if I need to take everything back to bare metal or just sand back to sound paint and top coat.

If stripping back. The easiest and cheapest way to achieve ( paint stripper or sand)

And the best type of paint I could apply with a foam roller ( I don't have a spray gun and this needs to be a budget diy job).

Thanks

Steve.

Steve, I'm looking to give my 4.4 runabout a little bit of a refresh so I might tag along on your post. Sounds like we have a similar paint condition... I was going to rub it back till it was smooth(not necessarily bare metal), etch primer and top coat it. I was advised by the guy at my local auto shop against rolling on the paint, and that I would get a better finish out of a can... Happy to hear our Raiders' thoughts..

Gents,

Very important to strip all the old paint off the Ally. A bit of old fashion elbow grease, paint stripper and some tools should do the job. The alternative would be to give it a sandblast/sodablast/whatever they do it with now. Once you have a clean surface hit it with a high quality etch primer. Then it's just a matter of picking your paint, two pack or otherwise and adding the hardener of your choice.

Relatively easy to do yourself. I'll be painting my boat in the coming weeks. From bare aluminium though.

Good luck!

Paul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Paul.

If spray is the go. I could also hire. Perhaps you can do a post on how you tackle the job??

I'm also wandering if it may be easier or cheaper to try a diy wrap is its gonna go as far as spraying.

If you could wait 2-3 weeks I'll add it to my 'Quintrex Fitout' post.

Were you thinking about just wrapping it one colour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries on waiting a few weeks. It's only a cosmetic.

Yea single colour. I'm just looking for the best bang for buck on a cheap refresh.

No worries.

All you need for a wrap is vinyl, heat gun and a vinyl squeegee.

Should be able to get everything for under $150.

• 2 months later...

Mate im a aluminium fabricator and houseboat builder. Primer is key here. You need all old paint gone as per discussion and either a acid etch primer or atleast a epoxy primer. Dulux has a product called luxapoxy primer. Its cheaper and works a treat. You could roll on but good luck getting it to cover without runs.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Thanks litefab.

The jobs currently on hold.

I started with paint stripper but it wasn't touching the original primer. So lots of gentle rubbing down. Looks like ill just take it back to bare ally in installments for now.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hi Mate, I've done this 3 times now and you have to go back to as close to bare metal as possible, ensuring the finish is as smooth as you can make it. Lotta hard yakka but worth it in the end. As for paint, I always use Norglass Paints, manufactured here in Sydney and is absolutely bullet proof. Comes in 2 pack or single pack, but I use the single pack as it is much more user friendly. Do not roll on. Use a spray gun or if you are VERY careful it can be applied with a very soft brush. Call the company and talk to a tech - they are very helpful. Not the cheapest paint around but definitely one of the best for marine use. Glosses up beautifully and is long lasting. Any help I can give just pm me.

Cheers, Tuffy.

Thanks Tuffy.

This is the last job on my list now I've replaced the trailer. Floor. carpets and seats.

I'm hoping to make a start in the next few weeks and will Def look into the paint brand.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk