4 Mil , Marine Parks & I.mc On Radio

Geoff

Hey guys...I'm planning on gettting up to Newcastle for TFP AGM. If anyone is interested, and would like a ride, send me a PM.

Hey guys...I'm planning on gettting up to Newcastle for TFP AGM. If anyone is interested, and would like a ride, send me a PM.

Normally it would be a yes for me but next Sunday 23rd is also my Fishing Club AGM so unfortunatly will pass on this occusion.

Did anyone listen to Minister McDonald on the radio this morning. Interesting , but not what I would call challenging.

This is the first time I have heard him speak , the general theme appeared to consoltation between Pro's, Rec & the greens ( marine parks). Sounded good but ...............................we will see.

Geoff

:1prop: -marine parks--------------I can only talk about experiences that Ive been involved in over the last 14 months or so at Lennox head-----the pollies who have the say-simply dont take notice of what the local community want--------also there is no doubt that the pollies are crap scared of the greens-----------4000 written objections vs 1000 for the byron marine park in the byron shire--the minister needs hanging------the last nsw premier quoterd on national tv---------i dont care about fishing and dont play golf-that says it all-----------the bottom line is simple----rec fishos want to save fish stocks for the future-------and most are supportive in ways to do that---but what i do know are 2 really dumbo things that are only examples of many in this byron park that should have been reviewed by those interllectuals in power in the implementation of this park---------

1-a sanctuary no fish zone has been forwarded at lennox in the southern corner of 7 mile beach and as far as us locals --set in cement by ther powers to be-----------what a crock of-in this so called sanctuary area-meant to preserve who knows what-there are 4 drains that flow into it--------in other words-all the crap run off from the roads and farms flow into it-a great chemical concoction----geezes-common sense says-this aint the area for a sanctuary zone--------

2---a bit controversial but true-the pro fishos can still net the crap out of the beach areas at lennox-in the marine park----again-bloody common sence says-this aint the way to go----------

my point--who ever is involved in these marine park proposals and final determinations----you need to listen to the local people -----take notice of what fishing groups put forward---------work together in going forward-not just trying to score political points for the day---------- :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Here it is

Could be the FIRST LABOR SEAT TO FALL

Fishing spots to be banned

By MATTHEW KELLY

November 30, 2005

A MASSIVE new marine park covering Port Stephens and the Great Lakes will limit fishing to protect the area's delicate ecosystems.

NSW Premier Morris Iemma announced plans for the 97,000-hectare park last night as part of a $420 million environmental plan for the state.

The park stretches south from the Cape Hawke Surf Life Saving club, near Forster, to Birubi Beach surf club, at the northern end of Stockton Bight. It includes Port Stephens and the Karuah and Myall rivers to their tidal limits, as well as the Myall Lakes system and Smiths Lake.

The park will consist of four zones, sanctuary, habitat protection, general use and special purpose. State Primary Industries Minister Ian Macdonald said recreational fishing would be banned in 20 per cent of the park.

Bob Smith :thumbdown:

Bob As I mentioned in my origional post ,

"A bigger threat is not the pro's but the ever increasing number of Marine Parks."

Do you know of a web site that provides further information , eg timing & what areas are still available to rec fishing within the park

Tks

Geoff

Grant

I have searched all avenues and to date the Newcastle Herald has the story and Mid North Coast had it on their rural report.

Apparently it won't be official until tomorrow and boundaries will be official on the 1st Dec then 3 months public display and CONSULTATION and zones to be finalised by July 2006

DPI or MPA websites will probably have it all in the next few days.

I just did a bit on Mid North Coast ABC so it will be topic for a while

If anglers don't give this Government a serve by either radio or in the news then I guess the writing is on the wall. I suspect civil disobedience will occur at the first sign of lock-out. If not it should.

I will be endeavoring to get the Opposition side of this story because it will be a political stoush and TFP will be in it.

I will keep you posted

Bob Smith

Apart from the obvious challenge to the recreational fisher what about guys like me who have a couple of holiday units that I rent out to fishermen in that area. The economic damage will be severe, bait and tackle, boat hire tours etc plus the real estate market. I wonder if there is any cash there to buy me out now that my potential income stream has been decimated.

Plus I like to fish those waters myself.

I suppose however before I go off half cocked I should look at a map of the actual marine park area. Any ideas whan this will become available and if it will be on line.

Cya

Geoff :1badmood: