Fishing the Darling River?

Scienceman

I am planning a week long road trip with my 14 yo boy in April, heading out to Broken Hill and back to Sydney. There is a great road that follows the Darling River and I intend to do some camping along it between Menindee and Wentworth. From what I can find, the river is currently very low and I doubt there will be any rain between now and April. What are my chances of catching fish? Menindee ponds might be a more successful, as will the Murray River but I would appreciate any opinions about the Darling R.

Not sure how low it is atm. Last time I was out there it was extremely low...in fact it was just a series of pools of stagnant water. Have a look for river information on the net. I wouldn't think it is good news though. Good luck anyway. Neil

Hi Scienceman,

I've been out there a bit and found the fishing pretty ordinary. Just the same there's plenty to do: Broken Hill is an interesting town as is Silverton.

Mutawintji NP is well worth a visit as is Kinchega NP.

The jewel in the crown though is Lake Mungo NP. Fantastic place.

Not sure of your route but if you head out via Cobar to Broken Hill and return through Lake Mungo to Balranald there's a great free roadside camp at the Bird Cage Reserve east of Balranald with a lovely bit of river to fish there as you head on to Wagga and back up the Hume Highway.

I'm assuming you have a 4WD but just the same, even a little rain out there makes the dirt roads very difficult and the local Councils close them very quickly to prevent damage to the road. Wentworth Shire, Balranald, Ivanhoe and Cobar Councils have websites with up to date info on road closures. I was out there last April and had a couple of pretty hairy moments on wet roads...one saw my 4WD slide off the road into an erosion gully....30km walk to get some help to pull it out. Got it out, one of the rescue vehicles got bogged, then travelling across the lake bed, I lost control twice on a straight road, low range 4WD at 20kph and careered off the road into the lake bed....was scary.

Drifted off the fishing topic and probably told you stuff you already know but maybe you didn't, so I hope it was helpful.

Enjoy the trip...I first took my sons out there when they were 10 and 8 and we still head out that way and they're in their mid 20s.

KB

Thanks for the great feedback guys. A couple of farm-camping locations have told me that while low, fishing is still possible and OK. Whew, I was worried about green water and dead carp. This is a sort of "coming of age" trip with my boy. Did the same with my girl a couple of year ago, diving and fishing off dads cat in the Keppels (now sold :1crybaby: )

Koiboi, I do intend heading south on the Darling and stopping at Lake Mungo, then heading to the Murray where I thought we might spend a night or two heading slowly west before the return to Sydney so your suggestion for a camping spot is much appreciated.

Am taking dads Merc M350. Its set up with a Fox Wing, Engle, pod etc.If it rains, I'll be straight back onto the tarmac and waiting in a town until it clears or is safe to travel on dirt. Thanks for the warning though, I'll be extra careful. Too much rain and I'll head east quickly and into the Snowy Mtns instead (Plan B )

Thanks again for the feedback.

Edited by Scienceman