Sp theory

krause

Hi all,

Just a quick one. Been using 5 inch jerkshads of late and every now and again the sp comes back bent in half with its tail pined on the hook (hopefully you understand what i mean).

Ive declared to myself that it's a fish inhaling the lure without any tactic (salmon flatie etc) and rejecting it. I can't see a 5 inch gulp hooking is own tail that's all. What's everyone else's opinion on the matter?

Cheers

Sorry mate but I'm a little more pessimistic. This usually happens (and yes there is definitely a pattern) when the hook size on your jig head is too big and/or your twitches too hard. I figure with the heavier jig heads (this is why it's always the big plastics) that they sink in a more vertical movement so when you go to twitch up, if there is slack in the line the jig head wacks the plastic and sets in. Personally I feel if a fish is hitting your plastic hard enough to do that to your plastic it should be hooked so I find it unlikely that this is due to an inhale and spit out.

When I do have fish take the lure and spit it it is literally never a flathead or salmon they both tend to hit pretty hard when they do therefore usually hooking themselves but fish like mulloway will give your line the slightest of taps and you MUST strike if you're using lures. When I havent the plastic generally comes back looking the same maybe slightly turned on the jighead or pulled back from the weight a little.

Cheers

Good points really. Depressing though haha.

I run a 3/0 1/4oz jig head on a 5 inch. I think going much smaller would make it very hard to hook something with a large mouth.

Good points there, as long as it's not happening every 2nd cast or more frequently it's not too major a problem I generally just back off on my twitches a little and try to make sure I have contact with the lure to stop the jerking that seems to hook the back end.

I don't use Jerk Shads, I should give them a try , I have a few packets. Anyway, I have the same thing happen with curly tail grubs, especially Gulp Swimming Mullet. I always blamed the long tail and how it sometimes hit the water. I like the fish theory better, gives me hope!

Edited by bluefin

The grubs and worms and other thin tail plastics i can sort of understand the tangle. But it takes a fair bit too bend a jerkshad that's all. Maybe I'm just optimistic. Btw give them a go, im not using anything else! :) they're not bream catchers, but they do the rest