1 metre plus Murray Cod

fiveflies

Hi All,

Flew down to Melbourne from Sydney on Friday to meet up with my mate, fellow Raider CaptLukey, and we headed up to Yarrawonga with his boat in tow. The plan was to take a guided charter (just the two of us) on the Saturday and then try to replicate the experience ourselves on the Sunday before heading home.

We were picked up before first light on Saturday by the guide and headed out to the river to throw some surface lures around. Using his Minn Kota we were able to pepper the snags along the bank. It was my first time fishing like this and, in the dark, it was tricky to get the casting right. However, we persevered and slowly got better at landing those massive surface lures in the right places.

After only about an hour I cast out and got a hit. Didn't feel big but the rod started to load up. As I began the retrieve the rod really loaded up and I knew I was on to a good fish. After a fairly short fight a massive beast came to the surface. It was in the net then the boat pretty quickly. We put it on the brag mat and it measured 106cm! I was stoked and we were beside ourselves.

post-34651-0-93394000-1456301164_thumb.jpg

post-34651-0-06121800-1456301128_thumb.jpg

post-34651-0-85736600-1456301100_thumb.jpg

A fantastic start to the day and hard to top! We continued to fish but only landed one more fish on spinners of around 55cm.

A great day out and a fish of a lifetime for me!

Edited by fiveflies

Wicked Greenfish!

Absolute stonker of a fish! Congrats. How did you go with the self guided tour?

Cheers scratchie!!!

That's an impressive fish! The smile on your face says it all....very jealous!

Fantastic Fiveflies. A fish of a lifetime! A lot of travelling for you, but I'm sure you wouldn't mind one little bit. Well done! Neil.

Great catch

Thanks everyone. First time freshwater fishing after the saltwater here in Sydney. Got very lucky I think!

Scratchie, the self-guided tour was not as successful although we caught more fish. We got out on the river early and tried to replicate the surface lures but no hits or follows at all. Once the light was brighter we tied up to various snags to soak some baits and managed a couple of trout cod, a carp and two or three smaller cod. More action but nothing like the monster from the day before!

post-34651-0-97725800-1456357204_thumb.jpg

post-34651-0-02198700-1456357234_thumb.jpg

Yep, I would have a big smile on the dial as well fiveflies. Indeed, a fish of a lifetime, and one to remember forever. A 1 meter cod has been my dream for a long time, but sadly I am still wishing and hoping (along with a meter flattie and barra). Did your guide happen to come from Bendigo?

I've sent you a PM with the name of the charter guy. Highly recommended and not just because of this fish, he is a top guy and worked hard for us.

He would have to work hard to get 1 metre + Cod for his customers. They are not easy to come by...which makes your fish all the more special.

Great fish!

What a classic Aussie icon.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim. They're a beautiful fish and it felt great to release and watch it swim away to hopefully put a smile on someone else's face in the future.

Yep, I would have a big smile on the dial as well fiveflies. Indeed, a fish of a lifetime, and one to remember forever. A 1 meter cod has been my dream for a long time, but sadly I am still wishing and hoping (along with a meter flattie and barra). Did your guide happen to come from Bendigo?

Not sure where he came from originally, but is local to Yarrawonga now.

Awesome cod - Congratulations on that fiveflies :clapping:

Cheers Blood Knot

Thanks Blood Knot

Pm me the name of that operator too please

PM'd Donna

I wanted to visit that area next week http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=80139&hl=

Alas swordie has another fishing trip to go on :(

Good luck in COTM with that fish - it would get my vote for sure :)

That's a shame!! Might be better going there when its a bit quieter anyway!! Good luck if you do get to have a flick.

Beautiful fish! Going cod fishing this weekend, Id be happy to get one half that size.

And by the way.Congratulations to the girls on winning Jan COTM.

Thanks Swano, it still seems surreal even a week later. Good luck this weekend, I hope you nail a big one.

The girls were absolutely stoked to win COTM and I am hoping it keeps them wanting to fish!