few kings around the harbour

jimmy72

went out for an early yesterday looking for surface fish on fly, nothing much happening except a few sporadic boils from frigates who wouldn't let a us get close, we searched far and wide, and only found seagulls sitting on the surface looking bored waiting for something to happen , just like us. We decided to head home and so i could get to work , and then we thought we'd check a marker or two, and low and behold we found them.

we lost maybe 6 to the marker or bottom and landed a 3 or 4 just under and over legal before i released that time does fly when you are having fun !.... oh what fun kings on fly are , even when they brick you !!!

got to work late but the boss was ok when he saw the photos of the mornings adventure

• 9wt rod
  • intermediate line (had to cast in the right spot , due to drift and tide and wait a while to get down in the eating zone though - a fast sink would have been better, quicker, but i was too lazy to change lol
  • 15lb and then 20lb tippets (still no match for encrusted markers and rocks)
  • flies clousers (which i normally don't like but was easier than changing line , i usually prefer to fish neutral buoyancy flies and change the line from float to fast sink to suit.)
  • Fly colours, tan over white (you can see some bucktail stuck in the fishes teeth lol) , chartreuse over white , oh and a spinster fly green over white which a fish now has as lip jewellery

moral to the story, just cause you cant see em doesn't mean they are not there and hungry ;-)

post-13694-0-38359600-1457661025_thumb.jpg

post-13694-0-27855100-1457661045_thumb.jpg

post-13694-0-83764200-1457661426_thumb.jpg