Sydney Thursday 2016-03-11

Bugger all in terms of landing anything decent. I just boated 3 small Stripped Tuna out of 7 hook-ups. I had a really late start but decided to take it because I’ve haven’t been offshore for about 5 weeks. Only got about 4hrs trolling in but it's better than nothing :)

Anyway the lures went in around 3.30pm about 8 miles out in 22.5. I passed a couple of fads I had marked for zeros. From there I trolled to the Botany Fad, water there was 26 with a 3 knot plus current. The boat barely moved alongside the fad. It was like everything was in slow motion.

I spotted some birds near the fad and followed them, about 10 minutes later I got a small Stripy. I autopsied the Stripy and found small undigested Leatherjackets in it. I cut up one of the small Leatherjackets and put it inside a 6” black and blue over gold lure to try and match the color of the Leatherjackets. That literally was the only lure that got hit the rest of the afternoon, mainly Stripies but something bigger hit it as well but it didn’t stick. I even moved the lure to short corner and it was still the only lure that was hit. I had another lure out which was same size in red and black and it didn’t get touched.

Then I saw a huge black mass moving near the boat, I thought it was a shadow of a cloud at first but I could see flickers of gold in it and a few dolphins around it. I decided to put the troll pro out to try and record it. It turns out the big black mass were millions of Leatherjackets which probably explains why that lure was the only lure getting hit.

Good luck to anyone heading out and maybe try Leatherjackets for bait
J

post-22587-0-10961200-1457684737_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-07433200-1457684750_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-55369700-1457684766_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-26441100-1457684774_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

yeah it's I hard to find time now, I might adopt a new philosophy, "my work is going to be there regardless, so I'll do my work after I go fishing"

It can be really crappy with a strong current, but I was just happy to get out there and get a few strikes, stripies, dollies, it's all good. I'm a realist you are not going hook marlin every time.

I might try to out there a bit more after next week, i'll let you guys know.

on a ungamefishing related note, apart from our blue water customers overseas, we are now getting customers using our trolling lures for freshwater fish in the US and Canada. A couple of freshwater guys in the US tried our lures a while back with great success, so they brought some more, started telling others and we are now starting to see a trickle of sales from the freshwater fisherpeople over there. They're using our 6" and 8" trolling lures.

we got this email and a few photos today which is really pleasing :)

I tried a Scent Blazer Mini Slant Scoop Head green laminator with bait. The other two fishermen were using the two lures known to be the most successful in use on Lake Athabasca. Using the Scent Blazer, I out fished the other two 4:1. The Scent Blazer also caught the biggest fish over two days. I caught 3 lake trout over 40 pounds and another four in the thirties and many in the twenties. On the third day, I let my friend who had caught the least use the Scent Blazer and he out fished me 3:1 and caught the two biggest fish.

I went back for the fall lake trout run. We all used Scent Blazers. I could only troll 100 yards before we had a fish on and caught many lake trout from 20 to 30 pounds. It is by far the hottest lure for lake trout I have ever seen.

I also tried it on salmon in Alaska trolling off the back of the boat with a 20 ounce weight. It only went down about 6 feet, but it caught as much as the lures on downriggers at 25 feet.

I am in the process of buying a fishing lodge on Lake Athabasca and I would like to contact someone at Scent Blazer about selling the lures.

post-22587-0-88115400-1457784287_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-26687700-1457784303_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-64557700-1457784304_thumb.jpg

That is wonderful!!

Tell them to join us here at fishraider and post some of those reports ;)

No probs, i'll get him to sign up, he can do freshwater reports. :)

Hey I was in the tackle shop today getting some bait and the owner told me they have been catching Hairtail galore at the Stockton wall in Newcastle. About 2 guys came in buying gang-hook, pillies and lights while I was there. He said most guys are getting between 10 to 50 a session. He showed me photo of 40 that were caught in one session. He reckons they have been catching them for last 2 weeks

No probs, i'll get him to sign up, he can do freshwater reports. :)

Hey I was in the tackle shop today getting some bait and the owner told me they have been catching Hairtail galore at the Stockton wall in Newcastle. About 2 guys came in buying gang-hook, pillies and lights while I was there. He said most guys are getting between 10 to 50 a session. He showed me photo of 40 that were caught in one session. He reckons they have been catching them for last 2 weeks

Excellent! Looking forward to our Hairtail social this year then :)

Excellent! Looking forward to our Hairtail social this year then

yeah it might be a really good year, someone told me they banned the Japanese from netting them around our waters about 3 years back, so that's why he reckons they are back in plague proportions off the Stockton wall for the last 2 weeks. This guy told me he has seen over 100 people lined along the wall fishing at night for them and everyone is catching them easily. A float, a light and a ganged pillie about 3 metres down.

Have you got the LARGE Teaser's in stock yet???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

this is how they look now, we are now just making them in pink plastic. We've had nothing but trouble with the paint jobs peeling off because they get a tonne of water pressure on them when they're towed, So I decided to keep the new lot really simple, this way the color can't come off

I don't have any here but I am getting few sent over air freight in about a week before the main batch arrives. Send me a message if you want a couple and I'll get a few extra air freighted over.

post-22587-0-61598100-1457957042_thumb.jpg

Wow they are actually juvenille trigger fish that have come down in this raging current, pretty cool.

everything eats them as well, about 2 years back about 1 mile east of the Whale Fad we found marlin, dolphins and small tuna feeding on massive schools of triggerfish, the marlin were billing huge bait balls of them and we often catch dollies that have them inside their stomachs

Have a look at this shot taken on that same day, we hooked a Stripped Tuna right near the triggerfish school. While we were reeling in the Stripy the troll pro was sinking and we got this shot of what looks like a massive YFT. That troll pro shot was literally taken 1 mile east of the Whale Fad.

post-22587-0-83917600-1458010120_thumb.jpg