Circle hooks for jews

krause

Hi all,

Is this a go out no go. Relative to my recent report, i had trouble hooking into jews with circle hooks. I have been doing really well with the circle hooks against kings/salmon/taylor etc, just found that they weren't getting the jewies in the corner of the jaw.

Thoughts? Keen to get down there and try again.

Cheers

As the saying goes "you can catch a big fish on a small hook but you can't catch a small fish on a big hook". For me, the hook size is always relative to the bait and not necessarily the fish. A 4/0-6/0 circle would be suffice for any jew!

Cheers scratchie!!!

I always used gama 7/0 occys, drag done up- and mouth hooked plenty from 30cm to big. Don't remember gut hooking 1.

7/0s look pretty small in a big Jews mouth. Use 10/0 in big baits if you use them

Edit, not circles

Edited by stevefish

i began using 4/0 hooks snelled, after the sizes started to increase, i bought some larger hooks. I have sizes 4/0 to 8/0 in my mulloway tackle box now, as Scratchie mentioned I size them up with the bait to select which ones to use

Guest 4myson

Hey Krause , Scracthie said it best .. the Jewie in my profile photo was caught on my sons little 4ft whipstick rod running 10lb braid & 6lb fluro leader with a 1/0 baitkeeper hook with a pilly tail as bait ! ( we were targeting breams ...LOL...) p.s came in at 89cm....

Edited by 4myson

Great timing on the post Krause as I'm heading to the Hawkesbury tomorrow morning for my annual fishing trip with the fellas, a few good tips here.

I haven't caught a great deal of jews but the last year has been a good one.

A few above have said match it with you bait and that's spot on. In my experience always make sure that the tip of the hook is clear of any bait when the line is taught. Looking back a few years, it was nearly impossible for me to hook a jew because when I would strike, the hook buried back into the livie making it very hard to hook the fish if they don't swallow it.

I won't use circle & octopus hooks off the beach anymore as I've lost 4 or 5 suspected jews where the rod buckles and the line goes slack when the fish spits the hook. I know they are highly rated and people do well with them I've just found the off-set types like suicide (for livies) & bait-keeper (for worms) have a better strike rate for me.

Cheers, James

Cheers guys. I went out today and continued to do what ive done, plus sizing hooks up to bait as mentioned above.

I have 4/0 and 7/0's, and had no time to buy anything in between. I can't for the life of me see a 4/0 in a live yakka, i just see it getting lost in the bait... so i kept with the 7/0's. Todays score card, perfect hook set on a bonnie, perfect hook set on a kingie, missed hook set on a jewie! Ahhh! :( it was my fault though, i did switch the bait runner over and effectively striked the hook it off the fish... did manage a smaller 60cm fish on a snelled 4/0 rig with squid. Sooo i see no pattern other than size, but a 4/0 in a yakka...? Maybe if i bridle rig them. Dunno or maybe i just run the risk of killing a few with j-hooks

Cheers guys