Keep Your Eyes On Your Flies.

Weiry

Found this post from a Fly Fishing site.

..."Went fishing for a night on my favourite reef for sea run brown trout - night time fishing is a great relaxing thing to do with beatiful sunsets and lots of fish are hunting in the dim light. Caught 3 trout largest around 3lbs. Met a guy who suddently made some weird noices while fishing - aparently his fly got stucked in his cheek and we couldn't get it out so he fished for another 5hrs with this piercing. Heard that he took it out with a scalpel later that evening. Must say he took it pretty well under the circumstances."

71393[/snapback]

I had a baited breadth pierce into my scalp from behind (barb went in...) on my final cast once... Luckily for me, it wuz only a #6 hook...

Edited by Agent X

Been there done that,

25 miles off Port stephens, Just had to reset the spread cos of a stupid stripey when I step on a leader and set and bury 10/0 SL12 gamkatsu in my left foot.

After Rob (Fishcrazy) almost passed out, Dave (I_smell_FISH) passes me the pliers and I forced the hook though the skin bout 4cms from its entry point and cut off the point. Got the shank out quick smart and smothered in antiseptic cream.

It was the first and last time i've been barefoot on the deck, and the lure was in the side poket, and only it only took one loop of leader to do the damage.

You need to be prepared to deal with these situations, cos if shit can happen, it usually does !

Chris

Edited by Aero

This sounds like a good thread in the making,I have two storys about getting "hooked".

1- In the middle of a two week trip fishing for Eastern cod up in the headwaters of the Nymboida River I miscasted my Rattling spot and it hooked onto my mates chin.I still giggle whenever I hear a rattling spot rattle,sorry about that Greg!.Luckily the Guide was a trained nurse and had it out lickity split,Greg is still a friend.

2-Teaching a Newby about trolling minnows,I was getting cocky about it as we had found a school of Bonito off a little drop off.There was three on board and I had Five Rapalas out.............These guys had just bought a 6m haines and the biggest thing they had caught was a flathead previously.We had one pass and all five lures went off,the Bonnies were 3-5kg horses any way I grabbed the heavy rod and brought the first one in skipping on the water.When it came aboard I threw it in a bucket , lure and all.I was on the secound fish when the owner of the boat let out a Squeak,I turned and he had his hand in the bucket ,one treble was in his thumb,the other was in the bonito which was going off.......still in the bucket.

Myself and the guys son cleared the other rods and then we turned to the poor guy,Using a pair of pliers I cut the treble off the fish first,then cut the split ring off the lure.

The thing about the hook placement was that the treble had entered from the side of the thumb,and you could see it UNDER HIS THUMB NAIL.It was a CD 14,he lost the nail at the doctors place two hours later. :puke:

Yeah, u gotta be careful...

Was reading In one of the fishing mags...

There was a story about a father and son fishing, and the hook was stuck on something, when it came free it went right into the kids eye and ripped it open...needless to say he is now blind in one eye.

The point of the story was to make sure your eyes are covered all the time with things such as sunglasses..a freak accident can happen any time.

I know myself the hook sometimes comes close to the face....thankfully only hand hookages so far <touch wood>

Dan.

Guest bluecod

it went right into the kids eye and ripped it open...needless to say he is now blind in one eye.

71681[/snapback]

Know how that can come about -- When spinning at tuna the bail arm on my reel snapped shut just after I released the line on a cast, the lure swung around the antennae on the boat and the treble pinned my mate between the tear ducts of his left eye. 2 or 3 millimetres further and he would be minus one eyeball.

I've also managed to pin my forearm when learning to fly cast and that brought back those memories of lures hanging from the corner of an eye. :pokey:

Was reading In one of the fishing mags...

There was a story about a father and son fishing, and the hook was stuck on something, when it came free it went right into the kids eye and ripped it open...needless to say he is now blind in one eye.

The point of the story was to make sure your eyes are covered all the time with things such as sunglasses..a freak accident can happen any time.

I know myself the hook sometimes comes close to the face....thankfully only hand hookages so far <touch wood>

Dan.

71681[/snapback]

I read that same story Dan. After reading it I looked across the loungeroom at my young son (18 months) and made a mental note to make sure he always wears eye protection when he gets into fishing. Started getting a bit emotional thinking about if it happened to him. I always wear sunnies now as well, especially now that I've taken up fly. That young kid now sports a glass eye after a horrific incident where some eye protection would have prevented, or at least lessened the damage.

It's a lesson for all of us.

Shane

:1fishing1:

Edited by madsmc

I've lodged a fly in my face on 2 occassions, it doesn't tickle.  :ranting2:

71617[/snapback]

That would explain all the red marks on ur face then Andrew :1prop: Doesnt explain the red marks on ur butt tho...that moon u did at St Clair was blinding and scarred my pupils forever.

when I step on a leader and set and bury 10/0 SL12 gamkatsu in my left foot.

71651[/snapback]

Any pics Chris? :1prop:

All these ppl having hooks in the face, geez, didnt know Fly Fishing was this hazardous! :1yikes: !

I reckon I can top you all...about 1987 my dad and his best mate were fishing from north curly. A sunday fisherman next to them was casting out slugs and caught my dad's mate in the face. Ripped his eye out and threw him to the sea. Dad had to go and get him and swim around, the eye wasn't able to be replaced - he has a glass one now. I was 9 at the time and I know to always look behind me when I cast!

And to watch out for sunday fishermen!

I reckon I can top you all...about 1987 my dad and his best mate were fishing from north curly. A sunday fisherman next to them was casting out slugs and caught my dad's mate in the face. Ripped his eye out and threw him to the sea. Dad had to go and get him and swim around, the eye wasn't able to be replaced - he has a glass one now. I was 9 at the time and I know to always look behind me when I cast!

And to watch out for sunday fishermen!

Yep, that tops the cake... :clapping:

Only been hooked once, and it turned out better than most of these examples. Somewhere on Cape Yorke in 2000 I landed a 2.5 kg queeny and got it into the boat. As usual, it went psycho and (being a small boat) managed to flop around and pin me on the heel with rear treble of the HB minnow I was using. Mrs queeny was on the front treble and still going psycho. In the end she flapped enough to pull two hooks on the treble RIGHT THROUGH, taking a bunch of me with it. I considered using the piece of heel for bream bait, but had to get back to the ramp in a hurry to wash the inside of the boat out before the crocs found us...

I was out in my mate boat when we were back in school we were fishing outside the bay and we had our rods set in the holder and i had my new pride and jow 15 kg overhead out in hope of a kingy.

My mate put his gaff in the rod holder next to my rod so the point of the gaff was facing the floor now this would not have been a problem if he had of put the cover on the tip like usually did anyway, my rod bent right over and i jumped up and pulled the rod out of the rod holder and start to wind line in very fast. I lost the fish and then looked at my thumb and there was blood pissing out like a super soaker i had 2 puncture wounds one on the right hand side of my thumb where the gaff entered and one on the other where it came through the other side, i went to the doctors and 6 stiches later i thought i was lucky to have not done any further damage or so i thought, it turned out the gaff had servered my thumb tendon wich needed 2 operations to fix.

The moral of the story is if your not using the gaff put a tip protector on it and put a rod in the rod holder instead of a gaff. :thumbup: