radio antenna

warnie100

hi folks I have just got an old haines and the radio was shot I purchased a gme 27 meg and now the antenna is rs I have seen a 600 high gme one but has no specs onit I would like to go out 6 to 12 miles would this antenna suit any help appreciated

Hi mate, not what you want to hear but I would probably save the money you would spend on the new 27meg antenna and put it towards a vhf setup. Marine rescue don't constantly monitor 27meg anymore as far as I'm aware and it does not have the range of the vhf, also a lot more boats on the water will be using and monitoring vhf if you want to listen to or communicate with boats nearby for whatever reason. I spoke to the water police about it a few years ago and they told me while my 27meg ticked the safety require the box legally it probably was not up to task for me fishing 12 mile reef off Sydney. We found we struggled getting hold of marine rescue on it a few times out wide or tucked in at boat harbour or watomalla due to the cliffs (can happen with vhf too).

thanks guy but have already purchased and fitted the radio I haven't had a boat for about 7 years so will have to just run with it at the moment but would you know the range of the 600mm antenna

27mhz is line of sight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk