Rose Bay - Whiting/Bream/Flatty

Howdy folks. Keen lure fisherman here just checking in.

Got back from Rose Bay in sydney this morning. Started out with frozen prawns and managed a few baby bream near the boat ramp. Walked down the beach but could't hit anything. It was my first time using frozen prawns as bait and hated every minute of it. I think it is really only suitable for jetty/pier fishing.

Anway, swapped over to a Berkley atomic once the prawns ran out. Waded up and down the beach section and snagged a few baby whiting. Was wading up to the boat shed around midday and the water was crystal clear and I could see a few flat head laying on the bottom and quite a few decent sized whiting hanging around too. But had to get back to the chores at home.

It looks like the rains have opened up some new channels down there too and changed around which bits of rock are exposed/covered. It could be pretty interesting there over the next few days while the fish fight for new territory.

Also managed the meet the 2 old regular guys down there that fly fish/lure fish there every day. Nice guys.

If you see me there in a t-shirt and boardies with a straw hat on, up to my nuts in water, say hello.

Watch out for the Numb Rays.

Schools of kings love to trap and smash bait right up against the wall this time of year.

Could be great fun on the light gear.

Lots of options in Rose Bay.

A few raiders haunt the place. I'm sure you will meet one soon.

Good luck.

The rays are pretty nasty there. A woman got hit one day while I was there and one of the old blokes showed me where he got hit on the ankle.

So far I haven't managed to hook any of the bigger fish but I'm still tweaking my technique.

I'm running 6lb fire line braid and 6lb mono leader on a cheap shimano combo I got at BLAH BLAH BLAH. It's true that cheap gear still catches fish.

I think I might have to get some jig heads though. The flat head are just too tempting.