Offshore 2016-03-24

I found someone to come along on short notice for an arvo session which always makes it easier. Plan was to go east of the shelf where the water drops from 26 to around 25. It was bit lumpier than expected so we could only manage 13-15 knots without it being uncomfortable. So we stuck out 2 high speed Scent Blazer prototypes to troll all the way out. About 8 miles out we hooked something at 13 knots, I thought it was a plastic bag at first but I could see some yellow on it. It was a small Dollie. I don’t know how long we were dragging it around, but both eyes were popped out and it was almost dead. It was a tad over 60cm so I didn’t feel so bad and kept it. We trolled that area for about 20 minutes and hooked another small Dollie but dropped it.

Looking for something bigger we kept hi-speed trolling east. We got another strike on the high speed lure near the back of the shelf, we put the whole spread out at that point and kept trolling east. About 5 to 10 miles east of shelf we started coming across tonnes flying fish and birds in 25, we worked that area for most of the arvo. All we were hooking were Stripies. We landed a couple of small ones and one bigger one that went between 6 to 8kg, I called it a small YFT at first, it had some go in it.

They were only taking our smallest lure which is a new 4” lure we’re developing that you put bait in head. We put some Squid in the head of it. The Stripies guts were full of small, silver, round fish about the size of a 5 cent piece.

Anyway, we didn’t get anything big, but lots of strikes kept it interesting. I’m sure there would be marlin and big dollies around amongst all those flying fish just got to be out there at the right time.

post-22587-0-45310200-1458885841_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-62355300-1458885850_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-70260700-1458885851_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

Sounds like a fun arvo session!

yeah it was good, we got a few strikes, sometimes you don't even get that. Plus we got our first fish on the high speed thing which weights about half a kilo :)

I'll tried texting you last week, I was going head out one arvo, but the weather turned to crap anyway.

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures