Early Bird didn't get the worm 26-1-16

NaClH2OK9

Having had car issues( blown gearbox) I've not been able to launch the boat for a few weeks and was getting pretty frustrated with the lack of fishing.

A new car and long weekend was my chance to fix that and I was convinced dropping some live bait around the Swansea FAD would produce a fish.

Unfortunately advice from my LTS was that unless your there before sunrise theres nothing happening.

I've only been out of the heads a few times since moving here in December and certify not in the dark. But a sleepless night saw me loading the boat at 3.30am and in at blacksmiths for 4.45

A slightly nervous departure relying heavily on the Simrad got me out and clear of moon Island before the plotter flickered and shut down... Pressed the power button. One for a second then off. After lots of cable checks I found the power spade connector on the switch panel had come loose. So all fixed and back to it. There was a full moon but being behind me it didn't really light the way and I only managed 12 knots out.

4c3a921ffc9dd114b9b04d9f707013e9.jpgNo time to find lives if I was going to hit sun up and 6.30 saw me at my destination with a little light.

First whole squid out lasted a few seconds and I'm on the board but only at 50cm

3f55d0c484aec5b7bcaf1eab61c0e418.jpg

2nd drift and squid produced the same after a slightly longer wait.

The sun was now starting show

47b3b49e1680263b27c158c6b8a27e37.jpg and a 3rd drift felt like just tiny pickers on my bait.

I set a spread of skirts and tried a troll

Now the sun was climbing 1bd084fa30a0867f5921a0ab9328e6c4.jpg but only to get a baby 30cm on a lumo.

No more touches for 30 mins so headed Nw then Ne in 40 to 70 fhm till somewhere near Dudley.

No bait. No temp break. No birds working.

Back south saw one run from something small but dropped it.

3683a9b60455e4571135a5b3c3e47b3a.jpg

Ch80 was showing me that the big fish were at the shelf but that's too far for me.

By 12.00 I was back near the FAD for a couple of laps of zero. And saw a couple of boats leave.

I decided to try Swansea gravel for a drift but 10 undersize flathead was enough and I called it.

Steve

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Edited by NaClH2OK9