Please help with id (herring)

didmail

Question

Hi Raiders, this is my first post and Im not sure if Im at the right section, but need help with identification of this speices my son caught on our friends wharf in Sylvania waters. We thought it was a tommy rough but not sure. He also caught a nice blackfish and a tiny bream. All fish were released.

Also, Does anyone know if the fish are ok to eat from here as we have been catching nice flatheads and decent bream.80e49a68da40f666a783eaa2cf2e2807.jpgfc1597de842d998828cc1cf73e55bf5f.jpgbae96dd03f07ea60597d7abd8570ed15.jpg

5 answers to this question

Mate good to see the kids getting into the fish. The "silver fish " is a Herring & are absolute dynomite bait live or dead!!!! Very common through the whole Botany Bay/ Georges River system.

The flathead/bream you catch will be fine to eat,no dramas there.

Mate good to see the kids getting into the fish. The "silver fish " is a Herring & are absolute dynomite bait live or dead!!!! Very common through the whole Botany Bay/ Georges River system.

The flathead/bream you catch will be fine to eat,no dramas there.

Thanks @hotbite yeah the kids love it, couldnt get them off the pontoon spent all day there, guess we will be visiting there more often

sounds like they had a lot of fun, my son's have no interest in fishing at all no matter how hard I try. Just one question the 'blackfish' I thought if they have stripes like this they are a Luderick or are they one and the same. The blackfish I have caught in the past were actually solid black no stripes but I also think they were called drummer, maybe someone can clarify this for me.

sounds like they had a lot of fun, my son's have no interest in fishing at all no matter how hard I try. Just one question the 'blackfish' I thought if they have stripes like this they are a Luderick or are they one and the same. The blackfish I have caught in the past were actually solid black no stripes but I also think they were called drummer, maybe someone can clarify this for me.

Luderick are refered to as blackfish.

Black drummer are called black drummer because you can also catch silver drummer.