Home built live bait rig

SgtBundy

Seeing as I dug up plenty of info on building this from the forums, I thought I would contribute back my build which was setup for a kayak.

Recently I took loan of my Dad's spare Hobie Outback after he upgraded to a new version. One of the first things I found taking it out on middle harbour was the need to hang onto some live bait, as I kept finding squid while looking for flathead but I had nowhere to hold them other than the landing net.

I wasn't keen on the price of the hobie version so I looked at some options for making my own and found a few examples on other forums using eskys. While looking for suitable materials I found some posts here about using some 30L barrels available from the big green hardware store which others have used for tanks on tinnies. Based off that I sorted out a few parts:

30L barrel + tap fitting (I thought it was a good idea to be able to drain it through the scuppers before having to offload it)

A cheap 12V bilge pump and 20mm aerator nozzle fitting from a large camping store

Some 40mm PVC and fittings for an overflow

20mm reinforced hose and stainless hose clamps

I had put this all together and when test fitting it was plain that sitting the barrel loose would not hold well using the kayak bungees. Putting it into some box would give more area for the bungees to hold it down, and also provide some additional storage and ability to add rod holders. I didn't want a closed box though that could fill with water and instead found a reasonably suitable cheap washing basket. This was light, would allow water to drain, had convenient handles and also was already holed up for running the piping in and out and tying things on. The plastic is a little light structurally but otherwise it works well.

Once I worked out my layout - mostly dictated by the need to still place the kayak wheels in the scupper holes, I setup the system into the washing basket and attached it using some bungee cords. The bilge pump was to hang over the side into the water, the battery was to be housed in the rear hatch and I was to make a control unit to sit up near me to run the pump. Originally I wanted the outflow to just drop down to the scupper holes but it was a little bulky near the wheels there, so instead I placed it to the rear and with plenty of PVC it was easy enough to have it run straight over the side.

post-33342-0-21056800-1459333533_thumb.jpg

post-33342-0-87817500-1459333530_thumb.jpg

The control unit came from an idea I saw about a timer circuit that could control the on/off cycle and reduce battery usage. Having done some electronics as a teenager I thought it would be simple enough. The circuit was simple enough, but my solder skills were lacking as were suitable tools to make the circuit board properly. I had a working setup on the 3rd attempt but when trying to fit it into the housing the circuit board broke. Having spent several weeks hacking at it and getting frustrated with it I decided to put it aside and just rig up the switches directly so I could use the setup.

I took it out to middle harbour and first trip out after a bit of hunting finally got a customer for it:

post-33342-0-73540000-1459333531_thumb.jpg

I didn't really notice the drag from the pump, but it was a little awkward trying to fish it out when I wanted to pull it in. Also I found the hooks I used to attach the bungee cords on the barrel caught my shirt too often. I decided to rework it so the bungee cord just ran straight through the top of the barrel which was much cleaner. I also thought I should try and shade the bait a little and if doing that I might as well make it a colour that helps me be visible to boats on the harbour, so I gave it a bright orange spray on top. I also fixed on some additional rod holders to help store rods out the way while casting.

I also didn't like the battery in the rear compartment and there was plenty of room in the basket. I got an airtight food container from Coles and rigged the battery up into that, and it sits snugly in the back of the basket, with a bungee strap across the top of it. There is still room left to fit storage for other kit as well. The battery box is big enough for two batteries so I might set it up for handling my sounder when I get one.

post-33342-0-33092300-1459333532_thumb.jpg

It might not be pretty, but it works well and if I get that circuit going it should also be fairly well featured :) Only other thing I am thinking about is attaching some clips to it for my gear leashes, that way I can just toss the gear into the basket and its all ready to go once sat on the kayak.

Just putting it up there as an option for anyone looking to do the same sort of thing.

Edited by SgtBundy

There’s a great deal of satisfaction when you design and build it yourself.

I built my own for my Tinnie, I know the problems involved.

Well done and I hope it gives you years of good service.

Grandad

Looks like a great design. My only question would be can you get the yak back over the right way on off chance you flip?

Have not thought of that - as above I went with the basket so it would not fill with water and I guess it would help in that situation. I think I would have more issues with tangled rods trying to flip the kayak than I would with the barrel, but another 30kg of water on it might make it interesting. At this stage I don't plan to test this scenario :)

Nice job Adrian.

One thing you might add is a sieve or gauze over the overflow pipe inside the tank.

Squid can be quite clever, smaller ones could escape.

Thanks - its something I thought about but I would need to go digging for some suitable materials, think I have flyscreen somewhere.