Brisbane Water Blue Swimmers

kiwicraig

I went out in Brisbane Waters yesterday afternoon for my first session ever specifically targeting Blue Swimmer Crabs. I've caught the odd one as by-catch before but have never made a concerted effort to catch them specifically.

After a mate of mine pulled in 9 (and a couple of nice flatties as well) on Friday morning I thought it was worth heading out to have a go. I would have preferred to go earlier and fish the bottom of the run out, but I had a few things to do so I didn't get out until after lunch and the tide was starting to run in again.

My rig was a simple as it gets - a hand line with a swivel, then a sinker running down to a two hook gang. On the hooks I rigged a section of a flattie frame that I kept in the freezer from a previous trip. I also had a rod in the holder with a single smaller hook that I pinned a bit of pillie or a prawn to.

The rod with the smaller bait was constantly stripped by pickers, however the large baits on hand line did not attract the pickers and was big enough for the crabs to hang onto.

Basically after nothing for 10 or 15 mins soaking I lifted the hand line and felt some weight. I pulled it in carefully and then scooped him with the net and brought him in. Good sized male blue swimmer. I dispatched him into the ice slurry and dropped the bait down again. 5 mins later I felt the weight again and pulled in another one. Netted this one and got it into the boat, but as soon as I put it down it charged out and chased me around the boat and then went to hide under the aft seats. I'm so glad my kids weren't there to see it - they would have been in hysterics. Still I managed to hook him out with the gaff and he joined his mate in the ice slurry.

Shortly after I pulled in a third but it was too small so I simply lifted the bait out of the water and it let go. After that it slowed down. After another 15 mins with no further crabs I decided to up the anchor and drift down to another spot. I put out a couple of rods rigged for a flathead drift and pulled in the anchor. The wind and tide were perfect but I didn't pick anything up on the drift. I anchored at the other end and dropped down the flathead head on the hand line, while I actively fished the other line. I pulled in a small tailor and whiting (both released) before checking the handline and feeling the weight again. Pulled in my third keeper crab. This one was smaller than the previous two, but still well legal and a good size for one of the kids.

By this stage it was getting pretty hot and I had more than enough for a feed so I decided to call it and head in.

Pretty happy to try something new and have it work. I found a recipe for Wok Fried Black Pepper Crab that was really simple and delicious. My wife and son were out, but my daughter and I ate like kings :)

Before:

post-36630-0-77933200-1459661368_thumb.jpg

After:

post-36630-0-84393700-1459661401_thumb.jpg

Nice report mate. Have a mate that uses chicken necks in Brisbane waters and does well on both the swimmers and mud.

Any idea where he finds the muddies in there? I've never caught them as bycatch and would guess you need somewhere more mangrove-ie than the areas I've fished (but it is a fairly big system). If your mate is the sharing type I'd love a couple of suggestions via PM :)

We should do it Ant. You could actually just tie the bait on without hooks and save your fingers ;)

I've been saving all my 'birds nests' lately (trying to teach the daughter to cast) and been giving that a try as well........

Tie a few of them together, tie on the bait in the middle of it, and send it down.....

Stupid crabs get stuck in the mess and can't get out. Doesn't work all the time, but the strike rate it pretty good compared to just a hook and bait......

Any idea where he finds the muddies in there? I've never caught them as bycatch and would guess you need somewhere more mangrove-ie than the areas I've fished (but it is a fairly big system). If your mate is the sharing type I'd love a couple of suggestions via PM :)

I got one at Bobbin Head as a bycatch near the marina if that helps. I'd love to know if anyone else has caught one there as I'd target them if I knew it wasn't just a fluke.

it's good to hear that you're catching crabs via hand line, gives me hope. Is it possible to do it land base though? or it can only be done on a boat?.

Thanks.

I was fishing at anchor so I would think you could do it land based if you could find a jetty that drops into 2-3m of water and has some sea grass needs nearby.

it's good to hear that you're catching crabs via hand line, gives me hope. Is it possible to do it land base though? or it can only be done on a boat?.

Thanks.

Definitely can catch them off the wharf at Empire Bay.

+1 to the above.

When I've caught them, I've been on a boat at anchor. I use a big lump of mullet on a hook and a handline.

Then when I've got my bream rod out, I keep an eye on the hand line and it will start unwinding. Then you slowly pull

it in and get a net underneath the swimmer.

Only issue is that the bream and the crabs can turn up at the same time, and if you aren't watching, you end up with zilch!

Nice catch!

Wouldn't mind giving this a try soon. Do you look for anything particular when choosing a spot to anchor up at?

I've been saving all my 'birds nests' lately (trying to teach the daughter to cast) and been giving that a try as well........

Tie a few of them together, tie on the bait in the middle of it, and send it down.....

Stupid crabs get stuck in the mess and can't get out. Doesn't work all the time, but the strike rate it pretty good compared to just a hook and bait......

Just a heads up, pretty sure this is illegal in Brisbane Waters, its essentially considered a trap.

Definitely can catch them off the wharf at Empire Bay.

Empire bay ferry wharf? do you have any idea about the wharf in Lions park or the T wharf near woy woy fisherman wharf.

Empire bay ferry wharf? do you have any idea about the wharf in Lions park or the T wharf near woy woy fisherman wharf.

Yes, the ferry wharf. Not sure about Woy Woy however there is heaps in that system so they should be there if the terrain is right.

Nice catch!

Wouldn't mind giving this a try soon. Do you look for anything particular when choosing a spot to anchor up at?

I look for a side channel with a bit of flow but not so much that you need a huge sinker to keep it down there. Muddy bottom, bordered by grass needs, depth 2-3 meters is fine. Not sure of the effect of tide yet.

Agree that the birds nest method would not be legal.

Yes, the ferry wharf. Not sure about Woy Woy however there is heaps in that system so they should be there if the terrain is right.

I see thanks, btw is it possible to catch them in the daylight?

Hi Howe, I found this today. Shows some crab spots at Woy Woy for you to try.post-31230-0-05420900-1460015738_thumb.jpeg