What species of flathead? ( Northern Sand Flathead)

Yowie

Question

Caught this off Cronulla this morning, it was swimming amongst the blue spots and spikies.

The closest I can see is a Northern Sand Flathead.

It was still alive in the fish box when I returned back to base, so took a few photos, released it and it swam off.

post-13153-0-57435100-1459828809_thumb.jpg

post-13153-0-21282800-1459828827_thumb.jpg

post-13153-0-10955600-1459828849_thumb.jpg

Edited by yowie

11 answers to this question

Yellowtail flathead, bar tailed flathead, northern sand flathead etc. Platycephalus endrachtensis. You will get a variety of opinions, but your initial one is correct I feel. Definitely not a tiger flathead :)

Good thing it was released as the legal size is 30 cms but you may claim a record for the species at 29cms

Thank you Swordie,

As far as I am aware, there are only legal sizes for 3 flathead species caught in NSW. They apply to Duskies, Tigers and Blue spots.

The 30cm limit (which includes the Northern Sand Flathead, mostly caught in Qld) applies to flathead caught in Qld.

I will submit a record application.

I think the rules are very ambiguous. The DPI on this chart http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/regulations/sw/sw-bag-and-sizeonly refers to the three types of flatties using common names not the scientific ones.

On this page the dpi quite clearly says at the bottom legal length of 33cm. That's our typical blue spot http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/375862/Bluespotted-Flathead.pdf.

However here it refers to the two species as Southern and Northern Bluespot without mentioning the legal length. To me this could imply they have the same legal length for both species under one common name. http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/saltwater/sw-species/tiger-flathead2

So unless they publish the legal length by scientific name somewhere I guess the safe option is 33cm.

Thought?

A 33cm flathead is pretty tiny and you would be hard pressed getting a meal from that IMHO

Couldn't agree more swordy. I think 42ish-55ish is the good eatimg range anything outside i release not just due to keeping the population but taste wise

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

They don't grow very big the Northern Sand Flathead. My wife got one up at Hamilton Island once and at 35cm I thought it was a midget only to find out later on that that was actually a good one! My wife wasn't overly impressed though, went all the way to Hamilton and the first fish she scores was a Flathead!

Cheers

Windy

They don't grow very big the Northern Sand Flathead. My wife got one up at Hamilton Island once and at 35cm I thought it was a midget only to find out later on that that was actually a good one! My wife wasn't overly impressed though, went all the way to Hamilton and the first fish she scores was a Flathead!

Cheers

Windy

Yeah that is a bummer !!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I also agree that the 42-55 cm range is good eating territory. Below that you really don't get a lot of meat, above that they start getting a bit too tough and dry and you get into breeder range.

As long as it is legal of course it's a personal decision and perfectly fine to keep. School sand flathead seem quite prolific and I don't believe grow as big as Duskies and other varieties, so that needs to be taken into account too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk