This is ridiculous, really

post-20708-0-47010900-1460026878_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-75869300-1460026912_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-70528800-1460026961_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-03292100-1460026989_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-68963500-1460027053_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-14705900-1460027094_thumb.jpgWe have some of the grandkids here at the moment and they look on me as some sort of freshwater fishing guru, for some reason...There's an expectation that I'll take them fishing while they're here. Fine by me. BUT (and here's the problem), how am I supposed to catch fish and get them to catch fish, when there's (virtually) no water in the system.

I promised them that I'd take them out in the boat for a few hours to catch a few Murray Cod. We all chip in to get ready and I put the boat on and head to the river. When it's within view, I think "mmm, looks a bit lower than last week". Sure enough, when we pull up at the ramp, I have a feeling of dread well up inside.

"Wait in the car kids while I check the ramp. Be back in a minute".

I check the end of the ramp which is a few metres from the waters edge. RATS!

The kids wait eagerly for Poppy to return, but it's not good news. "Sorry kids I can't put the boat in. The water is too low. I park the car and boat and we fish for an hour but it's hopeless. 1 small Yellowbelly at the end of the hour hardly gets the juices flowing. They look so disappointed until I say "we'll take the boat home and come back to where we fished the other day...we might catch something there". Their little eyes light up and we head home to drop off the boat.

The place we went to before produced a few Cod and a huge Carp and we all caught something. Today though was a little tougher with only 1 Cod being caught, but they were happy with trying to get some...in between playing Pirates. "The ones that only look for treasure, not the ones that hurt people." HAPPY DAYS.

The trip to the coast is looking more likely every day!

Great to see the kids were keen despite the let down not getting in the boat awesome stuff. Mate looks like they are holding water back everywhere Tumut is only running at 570 mega litres and the bidgee at Gundagai is at 2900 mega litres downstream of Hay weir it's only 796 so they are pulling off a fair bit of water between Canberra and you mate as its flowing at over 2000 mega litres down stream of burrinjuck. We need a good 50mm of rain for a flush!

Edited by luderick -angler

We certainly need a heap of rain that's for sure. Today it's very overcast but we only got a few spots, hardly enough to wet the road. I tend to worry (possibly too much) about black water and the effect it has on the native fish...especially the big breeders.

Stapo: I could very easily sit there all day too. Alas, the grandkids don't have the same amount of patience. They'll get there eventually, though.

One thing that never seems to change is the excitement when they catch a fish. I used to experience it and 60 years later, they do. Let's hope that never changes, eh?

Hi Neil,

Yeah mate I hear you about the black water we have that problem on the Macquarie and if they sell the water from the treatment plant it the gold mine it will be worse! What's the point of releasing 20000 trout cod???? Sorry to go off topic mate!

Great to see the kids were keen despite the let down not getting in the boat awesome stuff. Mate looks like they are holding water back everywhere Tumut is only running at 570 mega litres and the bidgee at Gundagai is at 2900 mega litres downstream of Hay weir it's only 796 so they are pulling off a fair bit of water between Canberra and you mate as its flowing at over 2000 mega litres down stream of burrinjuck. We need a good 50mm of rain for a flush!

You seem to have a vast knowledge of the Bidgee systems. I'm still trying to figure out where the water will be best for fishing, so I can maximize my efforts. Without giving away anything you don't want to, can I ask where you're at and do you work for Water Resources or something. I'd certainly like to speak with you regarding your experiences on the River. Looking forward to your reply (or PM). Cheers.

The contrast on the young blokes face in the last two photos is brilliant.

He's not happy with his sister landing the cod but then he's beaming when brings in the carp.

Dave

HAHA Dave. Very observant of you...and spot on, too. Cheers, mate.

It is a great thing seeing young kids catch fish. I used to take ours and not fish so that I could do all the running around, baiting hooks etc so that the kids had a great time, thinking I would have fishing companions when they grew up. Sadly it didn’t turn out that way. Neither of our kids (both late twenties now) have any interest in fishing.

The photo of the young bloke looking at his sister’s fish reminded me of a trip we did. Our daughter was young, so I thought she could share a rod with my wife, and the young bloke had his own rod. Our daughter came back with a small stick and asked if she could use it as a rod. So no reel, a short amount of line, one hook and a small sinker. Easy to guess who caught the only fish (both carp). To say the young bloke dropped the bundle would be an understatement. Good times, great memories.

If the Bidgee gets any lower you will be able to walk from one bank to the next.

It is a great thing seeing young kids catch fish. I used to take ours and not fish so that I could do all the running around, baiting hooks etc so that the kids had a great time, thinking I would have fishing companions when they grew up. Sadly it didn’t turn out that way. Neither of our kids (both late twenties now) have any interest in fishing.

The photo of the young bloke looking at his sister’s fish reminded me of a trip we did. Our daughter was young, so I thought she could share a rod with my wife, and the young bloke had his own rod. Our daughter came back with a small stick and asked if she could use it as a rod. So no reel, a short amount of line, one hook and a small sinker. Easy to guess who caught the only fish (both carp). To say the young bloke dropped the bundle would be an understatement. Good times, great memories.

If the Bidgee gets any lower you will be able to walk from one bank to the next.

G'day John, funny you should mention the stick and catching Carp. When I was a little 'un (back in England) I used a 6ft bamboo cane with cotton tied to the end and a bent pin for a hook...stone for a sinker, matchstick for a float. Used to fish the local ponds and catch Carp and Perch (Redfin). Great days but I have to say that I'm glad fishing gear has progressed somewhat, since then. Cheers mate.