Help needed fishing Eucumbene

river rat

Hi river rat,

the alpine lakes always require putting in some long hours. This time of the year with the temp dropping and the fish getting ready to spawn, I would be fishing around the Old Adaminaby, Anglers Reach, Providence Portal areas. If fishing from the bank, try lures like rapalas tassie devils etc. If using bait, under a bubble float in the late arvo evening, use worms or bardi grubs if you can get them(probably too late in the season for mudeyes).

If you are in a boat, just troll around the bays using the same type of lures as mentioned above.

Dont think the water level makes a heap of difference.....its a massive lake!

Another option is Jindabyne, using similar methods.

Check out Steve Williamsons shop and reports for good advice.

http://www.swtroutfishing.com.au/

I always take the opinion that catching a few fish is a bonus............the Alpine lakes are such a magic place.

cheers

Mullat

The trout in Eucumbene can sulk if the water drops fast and it is look for rocky bays. Providence will be good as the Browns and a few bows wil be stacking up there ready to run. If you get any rain hit the river especially if it colours up and gets a flow will trigger a few early runners! Three mile dam is another option at kiandra and it hold all three species brook bow and brown! It's a lovely spot but is in the snow line so go prepared for all weather there! The Thredbo is fishing okay up high and you can always try curiosity rocks or waste point in lake Jindabyne chance off a very good brook over a kg! They should be getting ready to run as they are the first specie to run then Browns and last bows! Good luck

Three mile dam is another option at kiandra and it hold all three species brook bow and brown! It's a lovely spot but is in the snow line so go prepared for all weather there!

Uuuggghhh, Three Mile. That place is my bogey lake, lots of long hard days for no result! Prefer the nearby Dry Dam, lovely little Dam that is a joy to fish, just watch out for snakes! Jindabyne would be my pick right now, the lake levels look relatively stable whilst Euc has dropped around 10%, not only will the Trout go off a bit the foreshore will be a mud bath.

Windy

Just a bit of interest, the last time I fished the lake the boat ramp at the dam was a strip of concrete on the side of a hill and the concrete finished about 20 metres from the water.

That "ramp" has always been a bit average. Better ramps are Old Adaminaby, Anglers reach and Buckenderra!

I bet the kids went crazy, good to see, I have fished eucumbene and jindy, the last time I was at eucumbene you could drive across the lake at the portal, get a map of the area that shown the fire trails you will find some good spots.

Depends on what the lakes doing and time of year sprung and rising water sees the fish in the margins cruising the flats in close we will see them deep on the thermocline. If it's dropping rocky bays with step a steep gully if it rains it will wash food and provide cool water. It's harder to catch a lake fish then a river fish there's a lot of variables to lakes particularly lakes subject to hydro fluctuations! Can be on one day and not the next!!!!