Trailer brake question

garfield28

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone can please tell me if it will matter if I disconnect my cable brakes from my trailer.

I've chewed a bearing yesterday and the end of the axle has a decent sized gouge in it just towards the end where the castle nut screws on. I dare say it wouldn't interfere with the nut nor the bearing but I guess I don't know for sure. I don't use the brakes as it is now (even though they are currently connected) so was wondering if I could legally take them off so I can get myself a new axle without having to have the plates welded on for the brake pads.

Thanks

Geoff

Edited by garfield28

I think you'll find that a trailer over 750kg gross weight requires brakes in working order to be legal. If they're disconnected, and the trailer is over 750kg then it's not legal. If the brakes are there but not effective/working, and the trailer is over 750kg then it's not legal.

Unless you're sure that your trailer is under 750kg, it's simple. Leave them on, get them fixed and functioning properly.

If your trailer was designed with brakes and you disable/remove them or if it can be seen that they don't work then your insurance will most likely be void in the event of an accident even if your not at fault. Your rego papers will most likely have the gvm or tare weights listed.

Ric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the nut screws on & the split pin fits ok I would not worry about it as the nut has very little load on it .

As others have said if brakes are fitted then they must remain

Are they the mechanical disk brakes , if so they are quite easy to fix most likely only need adjustment or perhaps new pads

Hi

The discs on my trailer are connected to the hubs and the axle doesn' thave anything

actually welded to it. Too dark now to go and have a look. I'm pretty sure that the brake

calipers bolt to the trailer.

Our site sponsor might well pop in to give you some advice

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone can please tell me if it will matter if I disconnect my cable brakes from my trailer.

I've chewed a bearing yesterday and the end of the axle has a decent sized gouge in it just towards the end where the castle nut screws on. I dare say it wouldn't interfere with the nut nor the bearing but I guess I don't know for sure. I don't use the brakes as it is now (even though they are currently connected) so was wondering if I could legally take them off so I can get myself a new axle without having to have the plates welded on for the brake pads.

Thanks

Geoff

As the guys have said,that trailer has brakes for a reason.It is illegal to remove,modify,tamper with brakes fitted to a trailer as you will be liable for any damages,injuries,deaths caused by that said trailer.

Where you mention the gouge is called the stub axle,you can buy the stub axles individually for around $20 a side and have them welded in to your existing axle.

Whine your at it I strongly advise you to get those trailer brakes back in serviceable condition for not only your sake but everyone else around you.

As the guys have said,that trailer has brakes for a reason.It is illegal to remove,modify,tamper with brakes fitted to a trailer as you will be liable for any damages,injuries,deaths caused by that said trailer.

Where you mention the gouge is called the stub axle,you can buy the stub axles individually for around $20 a side and have them welded in to your existing axle.

Whine your at it I strongly advise you to get those trailer brakes back in serviceable condition for not only your sake but everyone else around you.

Very sensible advise

They're there for a reason not just decoration

Hi all,

Thanks

Geoff

Geoff. Measure the axle from end of thread to end of thread IF it's 5'10" ( 1780mm ) I have one here with brake brackets welded on you can have, 50mm square solid axle.

If it's the right length I could bring it up for you and have that BBQ we spoke about some time ago.

You should have my email, let me know.

I am not fit enough these days to fit it for you but I could at least supply the axle ( free of charge ) .

Frank aka Nimrod.

Iamhappy to call in and have a look if you like the next time im in sydny, but all the responses are correct... If it is fitted with brakes, and is over 750kg loaded .. it needs brakes.. give me a call if you need to 0413196591

Thanks everyone for the advice, and especially my old mate Frank S for the offer of his axle and to Yarraone for the offer to help and for the phone number. I ended up taking it to a place to be replaced with a new axle and have the brackets welded on.

Thanks

Geoff