New on the yak

Ali2196

Hi guys, I've recently bought myself a yak and starting to get into using soft plastics and lures, just wondering if anyone out there can lead me in the right direction on some spots to catch some decent fish in Sydney. Thanks

Hey champ, you won't look back. Just tie your shit down, haha i just had to buy another net :(

I fish port kembla alot and the plastics do well. Just find a spot with a flat sandy buttom and bounce a plastic along the bottom for a flattie and work from there. Flatties are a nice simply starting point. Somewhere like grays point in the hacking is a nice spot to start

totally agree with Krause, flathead are a great uncomplicated start. I'd add, generally (in my limited experience, that is), sandflats fish best on a runout tide.

Depending on where you live: the Lane Cove River is an okay place to start hunting bream. Not Sydney's most glorious water but between Burns Bay Rd and Delhi Rd, they're not too hard to find Just don't eat anything fished from there, ick!

oop - and I meant to say the Lane Cove is relatively powerboat free and has enough bends to offer a good degree of wind protection. Both are nice things anytime but especially good when you're trying to concentrate on figuring other stuff out

Hey champ, you won't look back. Just tie your shit down, haha i just had to buy another net :(

I fish port kembla alot and the plastics do well. Just find a spot with a flat sandy buttom and bounce a plastic along the bottom for a flattie and work from there. Flatties are a nice simply starting point. Somewhere like grays point in the hacking is a nice spot to start

hahaha krausy, looks like my lashing system wins this round ;)

I agree with the leashes. I learnt the hard way. I lost a rod recently to what must have been a good sized king because i was lazy and didn't have enough leashes. Recently bought some cable ties, bungee cord and carabiners. They make for a cheap alternative to pre-made leashes. What area are you planning on fishing?

Georges river is a pretty quiet, safe river system on weekdays (when there are no jet skis) to get started. Launching from revesby beach ramp and working the rocky shorelines/drop offs and bridges downstream (toward alfords pt bridge, como, tom ugly's and captain cook bridges will readily produce bream. The sand flats you'll encounter on the way are good for flatties. It's also protected from wind on most occasions.