My first Short Bill Spearfish off Batemans Bay

Croydon

Hi folks,

As the weather has been superb this week, I decided to head offshore with a mate to chase some table fish with the electric reels. We left the boat ramp at Mossy Point, to find a calm sea and a light breeze. My mate set his auto pilot and we headed off to Moruya Canyons, just over the shelf. The 30 klm run was quick and easy run, but the lack of birds and bait was a bit of a concern. On arriving we got our gear ready and found a nice drift to the south of less than half a knot, in beautiful clean blue water of 22.5 deg. We dropped down the 400m or so to be met by instant bites. On coming back up we had full strings of good size ocean perch. We kept at it for a few hours until we'd got a good feed of perch (no blue eye for us today) and then decided to troll north so we could come home with the predicted north east breeze.

We set a spread of lures, with a couple of deep divers and a couple of skirts as there had been reports of Marlin, Yellowfin and a couple of Wahoo off the south coast over the past week or so. About an hour into the troll we were both lamenting the lack of birds or bait and just declared the place a desert when the long corner goes off! The 37kg line starts to peel off the tiagra and I see a long blue shape taking off with the lure, I'm thinking a small stripped marlin but something didn't look quite right.

post-4525-0-76960600-1461188517_thumb.jpg

After a good 10 to 15 minute fight we get it to the boat to find a beautiful short bill spearfish had taken the JB Dingo in evil colour which was securely tucked into the corner of the mouth. Once again I'm amazed at what great fish can be caught out of a 5.5m boat.

post-4525-0-07646300-1461188724_thumb.jpg

I now start to get a little excited as I'd never seen a spearfish before, let alone hooked one!! I gave my mate strict instructions to grab a heap of GOOD photo's before we release it. As the fish was still pretty green and very fit we decided not to bring it into the boat and let it swim away to be caught another day. It's hard to estimate a size without getting it in the boat but we were both sure it was well over 2.5m long and a good 30 - 40kg if not more, but we could be wrong.....

post-4525-0-07819700-1461188970_thumb.jpg post-4525-0-83335800-1461188989_thumb.jpg

After my mates photo shoot we removed the hook and let it swim off to fight another day. There were a few high fives and a beer or two on the way home. A pretty top day out, all in all. A new species for me, a great feed of perch for the family and a beautiful day on the water. But I think my mate needs to stick to driving the boat, his photography skills need a bit of work!! Thanks for reading. Cheers..........

Dave

Nice fish and great report! I think trailer boats and rod & reel have come along way. Hence our ability to get out wide and get amongst some good fish. And isn't it great to be able to do that!

Well done and congrats on your first! I'm still yet to land one of those!

Cheers scratchie!!!