Curado 200i drive shaft stuck?

Gday raiders,

Ive been doing a lot of saltwater fishing with my curado since I got it and decided I'd better give it a full service. I took it apart and did a general service all went well but I noticed that the main drive shaft is quite stiff to turn and actually squeeks. I want to get into the bearing under it to clean it out however I cant seem to get the drive shaft out...I have removed the two screws holding it in place however it is not budging. Am i missing something or do I need to pull/wiggle a little harder?

306a8f0708a4daaeae90c3fb665abd29.jpg

Before anyone tells me not to bother and send it away to get fixed I will not be doing this and am quite confident at maintaining my gear but this is a new reel for me so please only helpful comments. Cheers guys and girls

Ads

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Problem solved! Put a bit of oil in there to break down any corrosion, a strong suction had been created so just had to pull a little harder. Heres a pic if anyones interested in learning this sort of stuff.

17b41bcb52abcc3a8f0410c08bb921cf.jpg

G'day Adsy. Is that cog plastic /polythene? What does it do? I have a Curado (only use in fresh water) and am happy to leave well enough alone. Did you manage to resolve the noise problem? Cheers.

Hey Neil,

It is indeed plastic and if I'm not mistaken when in place it turns the main drive gear and worm gear (could be wrong though sorry!)

The bearing at the bass of the shaft had been loaded with way too much grease from the factory (pet hate) and had become quite coarse from debris/salt (will be strictly fresh water from now on!). I removed the bearing and gave it a very good clean, drop of oil and problem is fixed. Runs better than out of the factory now. There are a few really good youtube videos from shimano themselves on how to do everything I did if you're ever interested I'll be happy to post a link to the ones I used

Cheers

No worries Neil heres the link

I've got it spooled with 20lb braid right now but have used 30lb before matched with a Dobyns Savvy Rod to target mangrove jack and barra but have never really used it for anything else. Now that I understand the reel a bit more I probably will be getting a new one for salt and keep the Curado for freshwater to target cod and barra. Because I use my saltwater gear almost daily now I just wouldn't feel confident that it would hold up to the salty conditions as well as another option made solely for saltwater.

Cheers Adam. Out of curiosity what's your favourite braided line for your baitcasters? I got some that was coated and found out I couldn't tie an FG knot with it. Ended up using it under mono on one of my bait rods, just to get rid of it.

Neil I'm a big fan of the Sunline P.E, super P.E etc, can't remember exactly which one it is but I generally go with the green one. I find it by far the longest lasting and it seems to tie better knots than some of the more expensive versions out there. I think it usually costs me around $40 for 150m. Sorry about the late response, I don't seem to be getting notifications anymore.

Neil I'm a big fan of the Sunline P.E, super P.E etc, can't remember exactly which one it is but I generally go with the green one. I find it by far the longest lasting and it seems to tie better knots than some of the more expensive versions out there. I think it usually costs me around $40 for 150m. Sorry about the late response, I don't seem to be getting notifications anymore.

No worries Adam. Thanks for the info. Neil