Windang

Fab1

Hit Windang last night on a spare of the moment fish armed with some prawns,salted tailor and chicken.

We motored through the channel at a slow troll with 2 rods baited,one with the tailor strip and the other with a whole prawn hoping for a flatty to latch on.

Well we didn't wait to long because a few minutes in we had a double hookup with a pair of duskys on the hooks around the late 40 to early 50's in length.They were quickly brain spiked and into the esky they went.

We went to a spot to try that I've seen good bream cruising around near the bank and decided to anchor up and give the chicken a try.

Pretty much straight away we were getting small ones and got bitten off a couple of times by those pesky tailor.We persisted for around 1.5hours before my son got a good hit and brought a nice bream alongside the boat which would of been around the mid 30's that was dispatched again and kept.We fished for a while longer catching a mixed bag of flattys,tailor and bream with one bream and flatty being a keeper which were released as I had enough for me.

A all in all a good few hours spent with the family having a fish and the nights are certainly getting colder.

The results of our efforts for lunch.

I filleted the bream and flattys last night and marinated them overnight in my homemade sauces then slow cooked them over the coals on the weber.

Shredded them and ate them as salad rolls for a change for lunch today.

post-20199-0-27490700-1462075049_thumb.jpg

Good work, it is great to come away after aession with a feed, tjose rolls look real good too.

Thanks mate,them rolls were fantastic.

An interesting report again Fabian. Different way of preparing the fish, too.

Thanks Neil,I thought I'd try something else instead of the usual fillets with salad and chips and the rolls were absolutely great.

Good work there, Windang was always a good spot to fish when I was a kid.

A friend from primary schools father took us kids fishing there in the early eighties and taught us how to fish.I remember chugging along the sandbar over to Windang Island trying not to get washed away in the current and my mates father catching small tuna and kingfish from the island.Another spot we used to go was bass point and the Shoalhaven river.

I have fond memories of those good times we all shared.

Talking of the mid to late 60's. My grandparents had an 8 foot rowboat, and rowing against the Christmas tides was a big effort. I fished mainly along the channel from near the entrance up to the lake mouth and along the step where it drops off into the lake.

Flatties, whiting to 40cm on a regular basis, bream (and some that could not be stopped) sand mullet, gars, tailor, a few flounder, jackets and blackfish on squirt worms and live shrimps. And when the prawns were on, you had trouble lifting up the net. Small ones kept for live baits, good for the flatties and bigger whiting.

It was where I learnt that whiting could be caught in shallow water, pulling them out while wading about, while those out in the boats caught only 1 or 2.

I remember wading out to that island years ago, crabbing around the bridge etc, not as good as it used to be since the modifications to the entrance but hopefully it will improve to be as good as it once was.