Eating Wrasse/butchers unsavoury characters?

JA1990

Ok I would like to know a truthful answer.

If I am fishing for a feed and I do not do well on target species I can almost guarantee I will get a few colored wrasse and butchers unsavoury characters in the boat.

How ever I have never eaten these guys before.

Does anyone have any experience in consumption. How would you compare them.

I would prefer to deep fry them if they are edible.

Maori wrass or ( butchers you know whats ) along with many of the other wrasses are quiet good eating, they have a tough

gamey taste but if that's all your catching a feed of them is still a good feed.

Personally I would rate them pretty well on par with trevally and better than sweep, everyones taste is different, take a few home and try them.

With all fish don't over cook them.

Frank

Never use to touch them till a chinese chef showed me the best way as the meat peels of bones easily. Cut Criss cross through to back bone in 20ml diagonals similar to dealing with mangoes. Salt skin, rest for half hour. Deep fry in wok for a few minutes. Plate and add whatever sauce takes your fancy. I generally do either chilli basil or sweet and sour.

• 2 weeks later...

Not being a big fish eater I find Maori wrasse a fairly average feed. What is that old saying? Cook with a brick, and when the brick gets soft through the Wrasse out and eat the brick. They are generally plentiful, so at least have an entertainment value when fishing.