Cowan Creek Firing

Tag117

Hey Raiders,

Havent posted in a while, have had loads of Uni Assignments and have been volunteering with a marine bio lab in USYD doing photo analysis.

Only times I've been able to get out have been late nights and for short periods, so have been sticking close to home, Cowan Creek. As a result, most my evenings are spent chasing Jewie or Hairtail. Last year i caught my first 2 hairtail just over legal, this year, have been doing A LOT better. Haven't fished any one spot, just move around looking for big schools of tailor, the hairtail are usually right under the. Caught probably close to 15 all between 1.1-1.6m but dropped countless more :ranting2: . Oh well that's fishing, catch em drop em it's such a good night out who cares!

Been getting several Jewfish as well, no beasts, all under legal, mostly after lots of burley, when there are plenty of yakkas below the boat. Am teaching a friend to fish, he caught his first jew going 65cm, he was absolutely stoked, I am pretty sure at this point seeing the joy on a mates face after his first jewfish is just as good as any fish caught yourself! Also got a solid tailor going 55cm.

Sorry for the mix-mash post!

Cheers,

Tag

post-32294-0-03573800-1462270422_thumb.jpgpost-32294-0-04518400-1462270423_thumb.jpgpost-32294-0-69711500-1462270423_thumb.jpgpost-32294-0-84122200-1462270441_thumb.jpg

I was fishing off Malabar a couple of weeks ago, drifting for flatties and to my surprise I hooked up to a 1+ meter hairy :)

Spent many a cold night chasing them at Cowans and was quite surprised to catch one in the middle of the day off Malabar!

Great report keep up the good work

Cheers

Tony

Edited by luvmifishin

Great catch mate! What bait where you using? And what gear to take on the hair tail? Cheers

Hey mate, main things we were getting em on was small dead yakka or pillies, ganged hooks, green glows. All caught on 8-12lb line, good luck!