New to boating (NSW Brooklyn / Hawkesbury area)

ThePhoenix

Hi there,

Fairly new to boating (6 months now) and wondering if anyone can give me some spots around the Brooklyn area that might provide a few bites. I usually head out of a morning with the my son, 8 years old so any bite is a good bite at that age (small or big fish). We have a 4.5 mtr tinnie with a 60hp on the back and just cant get enough of it since we got it.

Have had some luck drifting just outside the Parsley bay wharf but would really like to know if anyone has any other spots they would recommend to help a newbie and his boy out. Outside that area, we usually wing it without much luck.

Cheers, Karlos.

Hi Karlos, welcome aboard. Try under the railway and road bridges, Bar Point and around Milsons Passage, Juno Point and Cowan Creek.

That should be enough to get you started and give you and your son some fun and a feed.

With the size of your boat especially if you have your son with you, watch the open waters around Lion Island, they can get big swells around this area (even around Juno Point).

You should be able to catch flatties, bream, tailor, jewfish, mullett and even the odd snapper among them, plus other species.

With you boat set it up how it suits you for fishing, and dont be afraid to try something different when fishing.

Make sure your son wears a life jacket when he is in the boat at all times.

Brilliant, cheers Greyfox.

Heading out tomorrow morning so appreciate the tip.

Lion island has caught me out before, swell looked quite small but was only a matter of a minutes before we knew it was a better idea to turn back.

Thanks again champion.

Hi

Near Lion island is considered limited open water once the swell gets up to a metre I think it is,

so that means that you then need all the open water equipment. I might be around next sunday

if you want some company at brooklyn. I live in gosford so its not too far to drive.

cheers

Snapper, appreciate the advice.

Yeah it was only past the head of Juno Point when we decided to turn back so not even a smidge out near lion head when I just looked at the map, all for a bit of fun the boat and wont be doing any limited or open water with just me and son on board.

If I have the chance next Sunday to get out, will take that offer - just need to run it by the better half. She gets to spend mothers day on board tomorrow morning and I just don't know if 2 weekends in a row will cut it for her.

Thanks again, first post and looking fwd to having a crack tomorrow now.

Don't forget to burley up as well, I use chicken pellets, I add the heads of pilchards to the mix and a pour of Tuna oil.

Mix / Mash it all around and let it sit, I then wash may hands and rig up / drive to the spot.

Once there i send the burley bucket down to the bottom give it a shake or two and the tie it off about 1mtr from the bottom. Reach over and give it a shake every now and then.

My burley bucket or bomb is some 100mm plumbers pipe with a cap with sinkers glued to it on 1 end and a screw cap on the other, lots of 5 or 6 mm holes drilled into it. I only fill it half way as the pellets swell up.

Then I fish close to the bucket or if there is a current I let a lightly weight bait drift in the current.

So far it has worked for me in the Hawkesbury, and I have 3 kids to get hooked quickly before they lose interest.

Jeff5.8, great stuff, thanks buddy.

Still learning every trip and following your advice, I am going to put a berley bucket together this weekend and it makes sense so cheers.

I guess there's only so long I can ask about location and spots when it might not be the GPS or the tools but the angler, lol.

Despite being green here, had some luck last weekend with the above advice from you raiders and we caught some small flatties, bream and whiting, thanks raiders,

Jeff5.8, great stuff, thanks buddy.

Still learning every trip and following your advice, I am going to put a berley bucket together this weekend and it makes sense so cheers.

I guess there's only so long I can ask about location and spots when it might not be the GPS or the tools but the angler, lol.

Despite being green here, had some luck last weekend with the above advice from you raiders and we caught some small flatties, bream and whiting, thanks raiders,

look in your in box......norm