Swansea breakwall - salmon

Christrading

Hey raiders,

This is my first post. I was looking to get some advice on how to fish for salmon off the breakwall at Swansea. I've got reels in sizes 1000,2000 and 5000. And I've got rods in 6'6, 7'0 and 12' surf. I went fishing there today and had no luck but heaps of people were catching them. Would love some advice on set up, bait, time of day, ride, etc.

Cheers

Chris

Hey raiders,

This is my first post. I was looking to get some advice on how to fish for salmon off the breakwall at Swansea. I've got reels in sizes 1000,2000 and 5000. And I've got rods in 6'6, 7'0 and 12' surf. I went fishing there today and had no luck but heaps of people were catching them. Would love some advice on set up, bait, time of day, ride, etc.

Cheers

Chris

the best advise i can give is sometimes it's best to leave the rod in the car for a while and go for a walk and see what they are using and how they are using it eg the gear how far they are casting the bait or lures and if lures how fast the retrieve is and so on .

you can learn a lot by doing this .

hope this helps .

cheers TAC

I was up there catching them Anzac weekend.

Everyone was using pilchards either full or half.

Most people using 80lb line.

I was using 14lb lost a few hooks and sinkers and fish but great fun.

Might be worth using aleast 40lb line some of them were in the 80-90 range biggest and fattest I have ever seen.

Reel was 4000 shimano stradic fj 10ft 6" rod.

Hey Chris,

I catch them all the time off the rocks!

A 7ft rod and 4000/5000 reel 20lb line, perfect!

Just use an unweighted pillie on a 2/0 gang hook and you won't miss if they are there. A little bit of burley goes a long way too! Hope that helps.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Scratchie!!! Do you catch much else with pillies there? I saw a few people with sandy flatheads too. Also when you cast if it is unweighted do you just leave it sitting out there? or reel it in? Excuse my ignorance but 2/0 means a size 2 hook? and you'd have like 3 in the chain?

Thanks Scratchie!!! Do you catch much else with pillies there? I saw a few people with sandy flatheads too. Also when you cast if it is unweighted do you just leave it sitting out there? or reel it in? Excuse my ignorance but 2/0 means a size 2 hook? and you'd have like 3 in the chain?

Hey Chris,

I'm not familiar with that spot, I'm expressing what works for me up here and I would apply the same method there. If people are also catching flatty at the same spot. It tells me that the bottom is either sandy or with weed patches. Perfect for the technique I described. 2/0 means the size of hook and gang is 2 or more hooks. A 3 gang 2/0 hook unweighted with full pillie, cast out, let sink and if a salmon doesn't hit it on the drop, slowly roll it back when it hits the bottom and your a chance of a flatty as well.

The break wall is pretty high.

Which side are you fishing? Channel or north.

I've not fished for salmon myself but have heard of better reports off the beach.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I'd stick to Scratchie suggestion. And asked the guys next to you on their rigs. Might just be beginners bad luck.

Many of us find our catches improve just by doing it more.

Not me though. I did doughnuts on Friday lol.. Tried Lake channel moon Island and 3k out...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Chris. I don't know that break wall but if it's anything like North Haven or Port Macquarie and your fishing the mouth of the river with a bit of swell through it I'd be using your beach rod. Save you getting too close to the water and you could lift them out depending on your line class and fish size. Ganged hooks with a ball sinker running down to the hook is what I used for tailor and salmon. Size of the sinker depends on the conditions on the day and how far you need to cast

I have fished there a couple of times - one time the place was alive with salmon mostly on the sand flat southern side, but we were on the north breakwall and they just stayed out of reach mostly. At the time I was able to get a hookup using a 7ft light rod (3000 real, 6lb line) throwing soft plastics and swimming them fast on the surface. Threw the hooks in jump but it was the biggest salmon I have seen - easily 75cm plus.

The current there absolutely rips though - so if you are using pillies use something that can cast a heavy sinker - beach rod is probably better for that. Otherwise go lighter and throw some metals or a swimming type plastic (heavy jighead to cast it and just retrieve it fast up high). If you try floating a pillie its probably going to run down into the breakwall and get you snagged.

I'd be using a no.3 ball sinker,2/0-3/0 hook.

40lb line and a 4000 reel

If you can't pull the salmon up the break wall (which is a fair drop) you'll need to climb down to get them.

I fished the end of the break wall channel side for salmon.

Got a couple of flathead 45 - 50cm beach side about half way up the wall.

And dropped to a no.2 sinker and size 1 hook for 3 good legal bream Chanel side

Started level with the beach and walked along the wall drifting the bait.

Salted Pillies I find work the best or ifthe mullet pros are still there 1 whole mullet for $1 is a great buy

Cheers Tim

Lucy's breakwall you spin for them and use a fast retrieve, sometomes slow it down a bit, early mornings are great as they head out the heads just on sunrise and afternoon when they come back in you gotta get em before they get into bay as shut down and usually won't take a thing you throw at them. They do like metal vibes retrieved at a medium rate. Off the breakwall i'd be using 15lb braid and at least an 8ft rod. If you can't turn them they head straight for somewhere to bust you off around breakwall, fish there every year at least 3 days a week when they're on but now chasing them in my kayak haha