Best rod for a Penn Spinfisher V 4500-6500

frankandfish

Hey fellas im chasing some advice on a rod to match to a Penn Spinfisher V. Im looking at getting the 6500, something that can handle decent fish off the rocks or off a boat when the opportunity arises. I already own a Shimano Symmetre and a Sedona in the 4000 size that I use from the beach and off rocks around the northern beaches. I know that the 5500 and the 6500 have the same internals with just a difference in line capacity, will probably look to load around 30lb braid 50lb FC leader on it.

Can anyone recommend a MH fast action rod that I can use off the rocks and then also possibly off a boat for jigging and trolling. Main use would be flicking metals and general bait use, pillys, whole squid and strips on gangs.

Price range would be between $100-200 depending as the reel will set me back about $200.

Cheers.

I would suggest you look at the Silstar crystal tip range and pick something out that takes your fancy.

I have 4 silstars matched up to Penn 650ss reels and I don't think you need to look any further.

Frank

Guest Guest123456789

I really like the samaki rods in that range, maybe the offshore series. Matched an SSV 8500v with a samaki 30kg offshore Rod and it's great as my heavy spinning outfit.

Hey fellas im chasing some advice on a rod to match to a Penn Spinfisher V. Im looking at getting the 6500, something that can handle decent fish off the rocks or off a boat when the opportunity arises. I already own a Shimano Symmetre and a Sedona in the 4000 size that I use from the beach and off rocks around the northern beaches. I know that the 5500 and the 6500 have the same internals with just a difference in line capacity, will probably look to load around 30lb braid 50lb FC leader on it.

Can anyone recommend a MH fast action rod that I can use off the rocks and then also possibly off a boat for jigging and trolling. Main use would be flicking metals and general bait use, pillys, whole squid and strips on gangs.

Price range would be between $100-200 depending as the reel will set me back about $200.

Cheers.

I think you need 2 different rods

1 for the boat ie jigging/trolling 5ft-6ft rod

1 for the rocks ie 9ft to 12ft rod

Penn ssv is one of the best reels around for under $200

Check out the penn spinfisher v rods cost less than $100 for your boat rod and penn prevail cost less than $200 for your rocks rod

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

I use a Spinfisher 650SSM with a Penn Prevail. Great, solid rod and around your price range.

Love it, caught a fat salmon with it the first time I took it out.

Hey Mike cheers for the advice. Which length in the prevail do you match to your 6500 and do you just spin from the rocks/beach? If I want to use it off a boat as well as rocks a 9" and over is probably too long which only leaves the 8" medium.

Cheers

I think you need 2 different rods

1 for the boat ie jigging/trolling 5ft-6ft rod

1 for the rocks ie 9ft to 12ft rod

Penn ssv is one of the best reels around for under $200

Check out the penn spinfisher v rods cost less than $100 for your boat rod and penn prevail cost less than $200 for your rocks rod

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Cheers mate this probably answers my question to Mike, figured there might not be one type of rod for both conditions.

Hey Mike cheers for the advice. Which length in the prevail do you match to your 6500 and do you just spin from the rocks/beach? If I want to use it off a boat as well as rocks a 9" and over is probably too long which only leaves the 8" medium.

Cheers

I use the 9' 8-12kg for kings/jews off wharves. I believe the SSVs are not as heavy which would match better with the 9' rod. The SSM is kind of heavy (650).

I fish with it mainly land based from jetties and wharves. I've had it at the beach a couple of times but the length is a bit short for getting over large swells.

Met a bloke with the same rod and a 650 SSV who used his combo mostly off the rocks and said it had caught him many kings.

However I do think it would be a bit long from the boat. I think an 8' might be good for both purposes.

No expert advice, I'm a bit of a newbie myself so just talking from my experience.