bass anyone

diesel

havent heard may bass reports this season,l myself though its been a pretty average one with not much rain,probably caught the same amount as previous years but sizes have been down.Defenenty getting bigger ones in the smaller creeks and gorges rather than the main river.

Anyone thoughts?post-10416-0-88632600-1462954936_thumb.jpegpost-10416-0-87528100-1462954983_thumb.jpegpost-10416-0-17221400-1462955058_thumb.jpeg

Edited by diesel

I've been fishing for them down the south coast for about the same size as those. This is only the first season I've tried for them and the biggest has been 37cm

Cheers

Tara

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's closed season now, they're all further down stream breeding in the brackish water. Usually they school up and breed where you would normally find Estuary Perch and the Estaury Perch move way further down stream right into the salt.

It's closed season now, they're all further down stream breeding in the brackish water. Usually they school up and breed where you would normally find Estuary Perch and the Estaury Perch move way further down stream right into the salt.

Closed season on bass is 1st of June for 3 months except in stocked dams

Might add that you can still catch them in closed season but they need to be released immediately. Better off going for some E.Ps in winter though they're thick as blankets in parts of NSW from now till the open season again. If you do plan on chasing them in the closed season its worth crushing the barbs to help with release and wet your hands becore you touch them as they have a mucus like membrane and don't do so well on releases.

Here's one I got throwing a popper around last night for a bit of fresh air-

post-36477-14630043510081_thumb.jpg

How do you know where the water turns brackish?

Cheers

Tara

A lot of the time it just takes trial and error of fishing further upstream untill you stop getting bream etc but it can be a pretty good identifier if there is a lot of debris and leaf litter etc on the surface all moving up or downstream in a big clump and there is none either side. I would be able to give you a few locations but only for the Central Coast sorry.

Ads

A lot of the time it just takes trial and error of fishing further upstream untill you stop getting bream etc but it can be a pretty good identifier if there is a lot of debris and leaf litter etc on the surface all moving up or downstream in a big clump and there is none either side. I would be able to give you a few locations but only for the Central Coast sorry.

Ads

Thanks Ads,

Where I fish the south coast I know the creek runs into the shoalhaven river. Time to explore. :)

Cheers

Thanks Ads,

Where I fish the south coast I know the creek runs into the shoalhaven river. Time to explore. :)

Cheers

I would try the boat moorings, bridges and weed beds along the entrance to the river. The Shoalhaven area has some enormous E.Ps, Ive seen them in the 60cm range there before so I hope you find some big ones!

Happy to help! Hopefully it puts you onto some fish =)

I would try the boat moorings, bridges and weed beds along the entrance to the river. The Shoalhaven area has some enormous E.Ps, Ive seen them in the 60cm range there before so I hope you find some big ones!

Happy to help! Hopefully it puts you onto some fish =)

Thanks mate.

That rule was updated a few years ago mate closed season starts the 1st of may for both Bass and Estuary Perch.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/about-us/media-centre/releases/2016/bass-perch-closed-for-fishing

Sorry I did mean 1st of May. I was only talking to my neighbour last week about the closed season and how lucky we are that the Jews and Lizards are still on the hit list!

Jeff

Sorry I did mean 1st of May. I was only talking to my neighbour last week about the closed season and how lucky we are that the Jews and Lizards are still on the hit list!

Jeff

No worries Jeff, yeah if only I could land some legal jews! I keep getting 2 or 3cm under [emoji35] haha can't go wrong with a flatty though!

Ads