Hobie Mirage drive durability?

Sea Ranger

Hi all

I'm new to Kayak fishing,, I'm on the bigger size 105kgs and 6' tall so I need something suitable. I've done a lot of fishing from Canoes in North America but never fished from a Kayak. I want to fish Georges river, Hawksbury, and basically Sydney area. I see lots of people recommend Hobie but Gee their prices rival good used Tinnys. I've been looking at a 2010 Hobie revolution 13 and will be going to have a look at it in person. My main question is with the poly Kayaks just how durable are they? There are numerous threads about Hobie's cracking near the Mirage Drive and seat mounts. Any advice is appreciated

Bear

I have a 2010 Hobie Revolution 13 and I haven't noticed any cracking at the drive but I had some problems with the seat holder slots cracking due to the thinness of the molding at that point. They replaced that kayak under warranty and I haven't had a problem since. The hull itself seems durable and as it is a thermoplastic apparently most damage can be fixed pretty easily by the suppliers.

I've got the 15 outback, I'm 6 ft 1 and 110kg, no dramas for me. Hull is still beautiful bar a couple of scratches from wanting to get up close and personal with some oysters.

• 4 weeks later...