Where to go close to Sydney

I'm a salt water fisho out of Broken Bay, looking to take the boat to a big lake or river to try my luck on the freshwater in the next few months. Trout would be nice. Can anyone recommend a location big Enough to launch a 21ft boat that offeres a reasonably chance of landing a fish or two?

Chifley Dam near bathurst. Lots of reddies in here. 3.5 hours from syd

Windamere, near mudgee. Catch Cat fish, Reddies, Yellowbelly and Murray cod. 4.5 Hours from Syd.

Burrendong, Near wellington. Catch Catfish, Reddies, Yellowbelly, Murry cod, Carp. 4.5 hours from syd

Lake st clare. Near Singleton. Catch Bass 3.5 hours from syd

Lostock. Catch Bass and Cat fish. 3.5 hours from syd

• 1 month later...

Purchased some freshwater lures, going to try down riggers and casting for these Brown trout. Have some pellets as well. The boys at the tackle shop suggest I rig these hook this way. Any other tips? And do they take live bait, earth worms or something? Heading to Lake Lylle for my first trip.

• 1 month later...

Hi mate

If your interested in fresh water fishing you can catch bass upper reaches of the Nepean river above the weir near the Rock look out Mulgoa accessible only by boat. There is also bass in the Nepean far up as Camden and Menangle park accessible by Kayak.

Its also worth noting that if the Warragamba Dam spills in winter then its flushes trout into the Nepean river. The Trout don't last long as the water is to warm to survive the summer river temperatures.

dogbox

Dogbox contrary to popular opinion there are a small resident number of trout in the system and survive year round they find the thermocline. They can survive water temps of up to 22-25 degrees celcius. They are though very hit and miss. With the amount of water in the warragamba Nepean at the moment I would be liking for trout the waters quite brisk and if we have a reasonably wet summer should see them active. I know of one 4lb bow caught near Yarramundi in the last few weeks.

That's really interesting, I didn't know that.

One of my favorite place to go freshwater fishing is Grabine on the banks of the Wyangala Dam upper Lachlan. You can camp on the waters edge beautiful country side only 3.5 hours drive from Sydney. Murry cod and trout.

dogbox