big Neil

Innovations in photography...

So, hands up who can remember the box Brownie and loading rolls of film into the camera while trying not to expose it (and subsequently ruining the pictures)? Okay you can put your hands down now. Then ,of course we had to send the roll away to a laboratory for development...and wait patiently for their return, often to be disappointed, by what we got back.

Well, how things have changed. Now we have fabulous digital equipment that comes in many shapes and forms...and the quality has never been better. Add to that the ability to interact with computers, delete (at no cost), crop and alter photos, and we have amazing capabilities at hand today. It's all very affordable too and like most things today, instantaneous.

Now this facet of Fishraider is (to me) greatly underused (is that a word? must be the computer likes it). So here's the plan. Are you still with me?

If every Fishraider posts a couple of their favourite photos, we can all have a lot of fun (during the long cold Winter) seeing what excites our fellow Raiders and maybe learning a thing or two along the way.

So what makes a good photo? You can study photography and learn about balance and composition, subject matter and lighting, but these things are not essential in creating a "good photo". A good photo is about connection, appeal, relevance. So I'll start the ball rolling with a couple of shots that I like. Join in and let's have some fun. Cheers, Big Neil.

So my theme is "a new day". Image 1235 taken in Fremantle, WA shows sunrise across this great continent and image 5741 is also sunrise, but at Greenwell Point, NSW.post-20708-0-78803000-1464120272_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-89746500-1464120682_thumb.jpg

post-12725-0-06333700-1464154796_thumb.jpg

post-12725-0-34536800-1464154793_thumb.jpg

Always looking for that special photo that you look at over and over again.

I am always looking at photographing birds,(of the feathered kind).

Two shots come to mind, the first is a Fairy Wren that was watching me at Kurnell.

The other is a Blue Faced Honey Eater that was feeding young at South West Rocks.

Looking foreward's to some special shots.

grandad

attachicon.gifWren_01.jpg

attachicon.gifHoneyeater_01.jpg

Always looking for that special photo that you look at over and over again.

I am always looking at photographing birds,(of the feathered kind).

Two shots come to mind, the first is a Fairy Wren that was watching me at Kurnell.

The other is a Blue Faced Honey Eater that was feeding young at South West Rocks.

Looking foreward's to some special shots.

grandad

What do you know of Fairy Wrens Grandad? The females are always a plain brown colour while males have blue or red in their colouring. Are these different species? cheers Neil.

Here's a male,Taken at the Bago Winery Port Macquarie

post-12725-0-19164600-1464173264_thumb.jpg

post-12725-0-54922000-1464173266_thumb.jpg

I am very bad at photography. Unfortunately I have not artistic ability whatsoever.

post-34984-0-92097200-1464179040_thumb.jpg post-34984-0-64176500-1464178764_thumb.jpg

I am very bad at photography. Unfortunately I have not artistic ability whatsoever.

attachicon.gifBroome_1.jpg attachicon.gifCountry Road_1.jpg

G'day John, don't sell yourself short mate. I bet when you took these they "captured a moment" for you. Both pictures make a statement and will always trigger a moment in your memory. Cheers.

Good post Neil.

Here are a few shots I took 2 weeks ago in Bali - sunrise taken on an iphone6

Excuse the imperfections

post-869-0-50994800-1464213596_thumb.jpg post-869-0-24211700-1464213592_thumb.jpg

post-869-0-34692300-1464213599_thumb.jpg post-869-0-81098000-1464213594_thumb.jpg

post-869-0-28964200-1464213601_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifWren_02.jpg

attachicon.gifWren_02.jpg

Hi Grandad, do they only come in blue? I thought I'd seen the male in another colour. There's lots of them in my area, flitting about all over the place. Cheers.

Good post Neil.

Here are a few shots I took 2 weeks ago in Bali - sunrise taken on an iphone6

Excuse the imperfections

attachicon.giffor post.jpg attachicon.giffor post 2.jpg

attachicon.giffor post3.jpg attachicon.giffor post 5.jpg

attachicon.gifpost6.jpg

G'day Donna. Your pictures emphasise something which I came across by accident one late afternoon. The angle at which the lens faces a light source actually alters the colours which end up on the finished picture. If you point towards a light source and observe the view, then move the camera around, the colours change. The quality of the pictures from what is (predominately) a phone is incredible and more than comparable with proper cameras. Cheers Big Neil.

Hi Neil

Re

Hi Grandad, do they only come in blue? I thought I'd seen the male in another colour. There's lots of them in my area, flitting about all over the place. Cheers

My "Simpson and Day" Field guide, lists over a dozen variety's, some of them do have red color on them,

Was going to post a picture from the book but copyright forbids it. You will have to photograph and post a picture of them.

Not as easy as it sounds the little blighters won't stay still long enough. Enjoy them whilst they last, the Noisy Miners have driven them away from my area.

All the best

Grandad

G'day Donna. Your pictures emphasise something which I came across by accident one late afternoon. The angle at which the lens faces a light source actually alters the colours which end up on the finished picture. If you point towards a light source and observe the view, then move the camera around, the colours change. The quality of the pictures from what is (predominately) a phone is incredible and more than comparable with proper cameras. Cheers Big Neil.

Thanks Neil - those pics are taken a minute or two after each other. I wanted to see the different colours in the pics :)

Hi Neil

Re

Hi Grandad, do they only come in blue? I thought I'd seen the male in another colour. There's lots of them in my area, flitting about all over the place. Cheers

My "Simpson and Day" Field guide, lists over a dozen variety's, some of them do have red color on them,

Was going to post a picture from the book but copyright forbids it. You will have to photograph and post a picture of them.

Not as easy as it sounds the little blighters won't stay still long enough. Enjoy them whilst they last, the Noisy Miners have driven them away from my area.

All the best

Grandad

Thanks Grandad, I was pretty sure I'd seen red ones. Thanks for confirming their existence. As you say, very hard to catch on film, not still for long at all. Neil

Opposite ends of the day

Edit, can't get the photos right

post-1192-0-48021300-1464263730_thumb.jpegpost-1192-0-05232800-1464263777_thumb.jpeg

Edited by stevefish

Loving this thread Neil, great looking photos there by all!

For all you bird lovers out there I would very highly recommend the "Michael Morcombe- Birds of Australia" app, I have used this app to not only indentify birds all over Australia but also to call them in during research projects using a portable speaker. I believe it is available for around $30 which might seem steep but when you compare that to the hard copy book which is nearly $100 and does not have playable calls for each bird, it's a bargain!

Keep the photos comin, looking forward to digging through the archives tonight for some favourite shots to add.

Ads

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What do you know of Fairy Wrens Grandad? The females are always a plain brown colour while males have blue or red in their colouring. Are these different species? cheers Neil.

There are six species of wren in my local area- superb fairy wren, splendid fairy wren, red backed fairy wren, white winged fairy wren, variegated fairy wren and the southern emu wren. Google images should give you a good idea of the range of colours- I cant screen shot the images due to copyright laws sorry

Ads

post-20708-0-27260500-1464298837_thumb.jpg Eastern Pacific Black Duck.post-20708-0-01604900-1464298929_thumb.jpgPelican and Cormorant.post-20708-0-18967500-1464299114_thumb.jpg A different Cormorant.Here's a couple for Grandad and Adsy. Not rare exotic species but good old Aussie birds anyway. These pics were taken on the Murray River at Robinvale, when the fishing was hopeless but the photography came to the rescue. Cheers, Neil.

Hi Ads

Just purchased that App, looks great, a lot easier than carrying a field guide for identifying birds.

Thanks

Grandad

Hi Ads

Just purchased that App, looks great, a lot easier than carrying a field guide for identifying birds.

Thanks

Grandad

Glad to have been of assistance, I believe there is actually a checklist on the app so that you can tick off birds as you see them as well. I really enjoy sitting in the yard with a beer on the weekend and calling to butcherbids and alike which fly down and often stick around for 30 minutes or so calling back at me.

attachicon.gifIMG_6068 (1024x683).jpg Eastern Pacific Black Duck.attachicon.gifIMG_6115 (1024x683).jpgPelican and Cormorant.attachicon.gifIMG_6134small.jpg A different Cormorant.Here's a couple for Grandad and Adsy. Not rare exotic species but good old Aussie birds anyway. These pics were taken on the Murray River at Robinvale, when the fishing was hopeless but the photography came to the rescue. Cheers, Neil.

Love that eastern pacific shot! The feather highlights look great!

Just to add to the point of technology coming a long way- this photo is one of my favourites at the moment and was taken with my phone in a small rock pool...

5f91fa81bad6fe06540fe5142813f077.jpg

Some lovely pics there.

I have to show off my Willy now!

post-24126-0-51577500-1464397365_thumb.jpg

post-24126-0-18508000-1464397391_thumb.jpg

Some lovely pics there.

I have to show off my Willy now!

attachicon.gifwilly 1 (Copy) (2).JPG

attachicon.gifwilly 2 (Copy).JPG

Hahaha when the notification came through I must admit I was fearing the worst[emoji4] lovely shots