big Neil

Innovations in photography...

The sun trying to break through the fog and cloud.post-5857-0-06092700-1468698237_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fish Reaper

Is there anybody on here who's good at taking photos in the dark? I have a Canon EOS which (generally) takes good pictures in low light conditions. I still can't work out how to take pictures in the dark with it, though. I know that a tripod is best and a slow aperture speed and the correct setting...yet still haven't been able to make it turn into any decent pictures. Any suggestions from anyone? Cheers, Neil the inquisitive.

I am not sure of your camera Neil, but look for Bulb in your settings. It is for shutter speed which will allow long exposure times. You may need a Canon RC-6 Wireless Remote Controller, or similar, as well. There are plenty of good tutorials on the net for this type of photography. These links may be of assistance: http://improvephotography.com/958/bulb-mode-photography-long-exposure-night/, http://mcpactions.com/2011/03/07/night-photography-how-to-take-successful-pictures-at-dark-part-1/

I am not sure of your camera Neil, but look for Bulb in your settings. It is for shutter speed which will allow long exposure times. You may need a Canon RC-6 Wireless Remote Controller, or similar, as well. There are plenty of good tutorials on the net for this type of photography. These links may be of assistance: http://improvephotography.com/958/bulb-mode-photography-long-exposure-night/, http://mcpactions.com/2011/03/07/night-photography-how-to-take-successful-pictures-at-dark-part-1/

Thanks John I'll have a look at them. Cheers, Neil

Is there anybody on here who's good at taking photos in the dark? I have a Canon EOS which (generally) takes good pictures in low light conditions. I still can't work out how to take pictures in the dark with it, though. I know that a tripod is best and a slow aperture speed and the correct setting...yet still haven't been able to make it turn into any decent pictures. Any suggestions from anyone? Cheers, Neil the inquisitive.

I use a panasonic and it takes good low light pictures in auto mode, you do need a tripod or a very steady hand as it can take up to 60 seconds or more. Manual mode is better as you can set the shutter speed and light but again a tripod is the way to go.

Jeff

I use a panasonic and it takes good low light pictures in auto mode, you do need a tripod or a very steady hand as it can take up to 60 seconds or more. Manual mode is better as you can set the shutter speed and light but again a tripod is the way to go.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

Neil

There are is quite a bit of info on the net about shooting in the dark

Also depending on what EOS you have you can get apps to drive the camera hands free from your phone or IPad

Otherwise a remote shutter button would definitely help

The photos of "my Wiliy" back a few pages were taken using remote shooting using my EOS 70D from my iPad

Give it a Google a go "Night photography Canon eos ??"

I'm sure you find heaps

JD

Neil

There are is quite a bit of info on the net about shooting in the dark

Also depending on what EOS you have you can get apps to drive the camera hands free from your phone or IPad

Otherwise a remote shutter button would definitely help

The photos of "my Wiliy" back a few pages were taken using remote shooting using my EOS 70D from my iPad

Give it a Google a go "Night photography Canon eos ??"

I'm sure you find heaps

JD

Thanks JD. I will have to get a remote shutter operation to work in with the tripod. Don't have ipod or internet on my phone, just a pc. My EOS is a Rebel T3 and I need to study up a bit more about low light photography. Will check out the Google links and see what they suggest. Cheers, Neil.

On 25/05/2016 at 3:41 PM, grandad said:

Wren_01.jpg

Honeyeater_01.jpg

Always looking for that special photo that you look at over and over again.

I am always looking at photographing birds,(of the feathered kind).

Two shots come to mind, the first is a Fairy Wren that was watching me at Kurnell.

The other is a Blue Faced Honey Eater that was feeding young at South West Rocks.

Looking foreward's to some special shots.

grandad

HI mate

The Superb Fairy-wren photo depicts a male in his eclipse plumage. He retains the blue in the tail. :)