Acoustic guitar build

Stapo

I know there is a few muso' out there so I just wanted to share my new adventure

I found this school on the central coast that teaches you to make your own acoustic guitar from scratch.

I do own a few already but to have one that you made yourself will be great.

The quality is unbelievable better sound than the bought ones and you can make what ever you like. I'm doing a standard 6 string but I'm doing a 12 string next one.

Some guys are on their third and fourth guitars 8 strings fretless al sorts.

All the best timbers are used and classes run at night for 4 hours. No experience needed. I can't wait to go love it. 440cc2973d8e658f1202f73cda446d72.jpg

8225946289426b629997c95987dc1c7d.jpg

03661c3a6e013b662c9653e7424d07d8.jpg

I'm working on the fretboard and neck now. It's taking me 12 lessons so far. The neck is all hand carved. Lots of sanding. I should be done before xmas ha. The cost. Don't ask. Not cheap. Don't care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now that is cool.

Who would have though it!

Are you doing all the construction including bending the sides?

Cheers

Jim

Yes all the bending. They have little jigs and things for everything.

That's really cool. Very impressive. You'll have to record a solo when done and share.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Ha. I'll be too scared to take it out of the case.

Ha. I'll be too scared to take it out of the case.

Paint it with marine varnish. It will be indestructible. Reminds me of an Elvis movie ( though I'm not an elvis fan)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Stapo you've made my night! I made an electric 6string for my year 12 woodwork main project but it was pretty terrible and the sound was not great. This is something I would be very interested in! Thanks for sharing and your workmanship looks fantastic!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Stapo you've made my night! I made an electric 6string for my year 12 woodwork main project but it was pretty terrible and the sound was not great. This is something I would be very interested in! Thanks for sharing and your workmanship looks fantastic!

Send me a pm if you like and I can send you the web site with more info. They are starting solid bodies soon.

Good on you Stapo,

I'm not that handy but my uncle is. He always does my little fixes. I had a brand new tacki and wasn't too keen on the sound so he took it away for a couple of weeks (not sure what he did) and it sound so sweet after that.

Another time i opened up the case (which reminds me i still need to get a hard case :/) only to find the head stock SNAPPED!!!

Here's some pics of the process that he sent me.

Cheers

Tara

post-19048-0-67666700-1464759504_thumb.jpg

post-19048-0-46323400-1464759580_thumb.jpg

post-19048-0-78648500-1464759582_thumb.jpg

post-19048-0-91954800-1464759585_thumb.jpg

post-19048-0-95800200-1464759590_thumb.jpg

post-19048-0-78404900-1464759595_thumb.jpg

What a beautiful job Tara

She sounds beautiful too.

My uncle is a fanatic though. Has humidified cabinets for all his good guitars. Sounds like something stew would have for his gear. Ha ha

Good on you Stapo,

I'm not that handy but my uncle is. He always does my little fixes. I had a brand new tacki and wasn't too keen on the sound so he took it away for a couple of weeks (not sure what he did) and it sound so sweet after that.

Another time i opened up the case (which reminds me i still need to get a hard case :/) only to find the head stock SNAPPED!!!

Here's some pics of the process that he sent me.

Cheers

Tara

Nice job on the repair Tara. Would have broken your heart to see a beautiful takamine broken like that.

One of the students was working on his neck for 3 weeks and he accidentally put the dots on the 11 th fret not the 12th. Put they did fix it you can't tell now. Very clever what they can do to timber.

Cheers Steve.

That looks great Steve, money well spent.

Built with your own hands, it's priceless.

Thanks Andrew. Can't wait till it's finished. Takes 2 months just to spray it. He puts like 30 coats on it after micro sanding.

Nice job on the repair Tara. Would have broken your heart to see a beautiful takamine broken like that.

One of the students was working on his neck for 3 weeks and he accidentally put the dots on the 11 th fret not the 12th. Put they did fix it you can't tell now. Very clever what they can do to timber.

Cheers Steve.

Oh no... I guess you would get used to it though if it couldn't have been fixed.

Be sure to post on your progress.

Cheers

Tara

• 2 weeks later...

Great project Steve. Will you be able to play it (are you a guitarist, too?) Cheers, Neil

Thanks.

Hopefully I can still play. Arthritis is getting to the fingers. I do own a few acoustic and electric guitars but to play one you made yourself will be special. Can't wait.

Thanks.

Hopefully I can still play. Arthritis is getting to the fingers. I do own a few acoustic and electric guitars but to play one you made yourself will be special. Can't wait.

If arthritis is too bad then I can help. I mean I can help taking the guitar off your hands [emoji12] a bad back won't prevent me from playing it hehehe

--

Huy